Are Drug Cartels A Serious Danger In Ba?

natykerouac

Registered
I don't know a lot about drug cartels in Argentina. Are they a serious threat to citizens and foreigners like they are in Mexico? Do they operate as gruesomely within Argentina as they do in other countries? I'm assuming not because I haven't heard a lot about it but just thought I'd ask.

No mass beheading here yet to speak of. The cartels work here though, just like everywhere.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/04/19/argentina_drug_war

Could be moving that way, but it's not a greatly visible problem in general, as far as the cartels affecting large groups of people here in Buenos Aires. Not so sure about the northeast close to Iguazu and Ciudad del Este and the northwest touching Bolivia. That's where most of the drugs are moving, I think, and residents there might be impacted but I don't know.

Here in Buenos Aires, the issues are more the rise of use of cocaine, LSD and Ecstasy by young people here. My eldest sister-in-law (who turned 18 at the beginning of the year) has mentioned to me that things are getting crazy. She and her friends aren't in to drugs, but she talks about how open it is in the clubs. And more and more people are partying all night on the weekends (which seems to stretch over to Sunday night and sometimes beginning on Thursday night).

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/04/19/argentina_drug_war

Could be moving that way, but it's not a greatly visible problem in general, as far as the cartels affecting large groups of people here in Buenos Aires. Not so sure about the northeast close to Iguazu and Ciudad del Este and the northwest touching Bolivia. That's where most of the drugs are moving, I think, and residents there might be impacted but I don't know.

Here in Buenos Aires, the issues are more the rise of use of cocaine, LSD and Ecstasy by young people here.

Club drugs in clubs? Hardly a problem in the same league as drug violence in rural Mexico.

While drug use continues to be a problem , and Argentina is a major supplier of cocaine , most of the impact of narco traficantes is Argentina is one of the best place to launder money. Many new buildings being built , and those of the past 10 years have been funded by narcos. The ability to pass large sums of cash through big cueva's is normal here.

Present day Argentina isn't even close to Mexico or some of these other countries in terms of narco activity. However, it doesn't have the resources or the know how to combat anything of the sort. I truly believe that Argentina is on a path for narco disaster.

Think Miami has a much bigger problem with drug cartels than BA.
Argentina will never compare to Mexico, because Mexico is an area where its produced and sold to its neighbours in the U.S

The US imposed and exported the idea (and the problem itself, by the US embassies in each country, for example training military the mexican narcos, exporting colombian narcos to the continent, etc) that the narco problem belongs basically to Latin America, -that is assinging a particular problem to the region, like insecurity- while they are the main destination and the number one consumer world wide (60% of the drug in the world goes to the US).

Of course there are not big narco maffias in the US, nor problems of any kind, nor growing problem. The image of dangerous narcos, of people making big money through drugs, is only a patrimony of the latins, and on the other hand you have the tidy sane honest americans that are victims of these narco people.

The US imposed and exported the idea (and the problem itself, by the US embassies in each country, for example training military the mexican narcos, exporting colombian narcos to the continent, etc) that the narco problem belongs basically to Latin America, -that is assinging a particular problem to the region, like insecurity- while they are the main destination and the number one consumer world wide (60% of the drug in the world goes to the US).

Of course there are not big narco maffias in the US, nor problems of any kind, nor growing problem. The image of dangerous narcos, of people making big money through drugs, is only a patrimony of the latins, and on the other hand you have the tidy sane honest americans that are victims of these narco people.

Back