Are extra flight stops to BA cheaper?

Michael_CA

Registered
I am looking at coming to BA in mid june, and will be come back to canada in the beggining of january. So far through expedia the cheapest I've been able to get is around $1600. Has anyone found it cheaper flying to another big South American airport, like somewhere in Venezuela or Mexico, and then flying to BA from there? Thanks in advance.
 

va2ba

Registered
From my experience, you are looking to early. I start looking 4 or 5 months before I leave to see what the prices are and I check back a few times a week.

My first time coming here, I was able to book round trip to BA from Dulles for $800 about a month in advance.

Look around and see what flights are the cheapest, but wait, the prices will go down. June is usually pretty cheap for coming to BA.
 

HowardinBA

Registered
cheapest is DEFINITELY not the best way to travel,you get what you pay for.we flew to the UK in November with Air Comet and they went bust while we were there.!!!!!I,ll pay more in future and fly British Airways
 

Neil

Registered
Try http://tinyurl.com/yksaur7 for some cheaper options, depending on the city you are departing from, I use Ottawa (cause thats where I'm from..!)

Usually fly through Washington via American Airlines than straight through to Argentina...
 
Try Cheapo Air - http://www.cheapoair.com/. I have found them consistently cheaper than Orbitz, Kayak, Expedia, etc. They also include more Latin American airlines in their searches than the others.

They allow you to search by entering multiple cities and/or what they call "open jaw" tickets - i.e. a round trip can be outbound City A to City B, then return City B to City C. If you need to do this kind of mutli-city thing, Cheapo's prices have been amazingly low for me in the past.

Suerte!
 

syngirl

Registered
which city in Canada are you leaving from?

YVR - EZE on Mexicana via DF is usually one of the best deals.

Sometimes leaving via Seattle saves you money, but it can also be $300 more expensive so keep an eye out.

If you're leaving YUL or YYZ then Continental can have good prices via Houston.

Going via Venezuela definitely not going to save you money, and with the way that country's going by the time you get there they may not have fuel for the plane! lol

No the only way to save money is occasionally by leaving via the States or doing a crapola trip like YVR LAX DFW Santiago de Chile EZE. Or YYZ JFK Houston EZE etc.

onetravel.com gets good deals too
 

Michael_CA

Registered
InteriorDesigner said:
Try Cheapo Air - http://www.cheapoair.com/. I have found them consistently cheaper than Orbitz, Kayak, Expedia, etc. They also include more Latin American airlines in their searches than the others.

They allow you to search by entering multiple cities and/or what they call "open jaw" tickets - i.e. a round trip can be outbound City A to City B, then return City B to City C. If you need to do this kind of mutli-city thing, Cheapo's prices have been amazingly low for me in the past.

Suerte!
Thanks guys for the other sites, and InteriorDesigner, I actually did manage to get a flight $200 cheaper by returning to Calgary instead of Edmonton (no idea how that works , but I'm happy).

About what someone said recommending to wait for cheaper prices, do prices always drop closer to the leave date? I would be worried about gambling like that and maybe end up paying even more for a ticket at the last minute.
 

syngirl

Registered
Try bing.com's travel ticket tracker -- a few other sites have them as well.

Prices seem to come down until about 3 weeks out, then go up again, and then sometimes right before the date there's another sell out to fill the seats.
 

syngirl

Registered
Michael_CA said:
TI actually did manage to get a flight $200 cheaper by returning to Calgary instead of Edmonton (no idea how that works , but I'm happy).

That's funny -- I would have thought the other way, since Edmonton is desperately trying to get people to use their airport instead of Calgary. I guess Calgary can afford to slash taxes and keep the people coming through there? Edmonton Int'l is under threat of being shut down from what I've read the past few weeks.
 

jp

Registered
HowardinBA said:
cheapest is DEFINITELY not the best way to travel,you get what you pay for.we flew to the UK in November with Air Comet and they went bust while we were there.!!!!!I,ll pay more in future and fly British Airways
We always go with BA. Its more comfy - plus you get to play the "BA lottery". Their flights always seem to be over subscribed, and if you are flying from london to BA you are potentially taking up two tickets - a ticket from london to sao paolo, and another from sao paolo to BA. They are always keen to find people doing the london-BA route who might volunteer not to fly, as it saves them from kicking two people off the route and having to compensate twice.

Last time we flew BA we got given 825 euros each to fly the next day - free return flights! Unless you have something really urgent to get back for, its well worth asking if they have a volunteer scheme going.
 
Top