Are The Price Increases Affecting You?

I know you've been here for a while and are quite sharp. Can you really not see any major problems with applying that methodology to Argentina?

I know you've been here for a while and are quite sharp. Can you really not see any major problems with applying that methodology to Argentina?

The methodology was developed here, not applied here.

[font=Lucida Grande']InflacionVerdadera.com was created in 2007 to provide alternative price indexes to the official ones in Argentina. From 2007 to 2012 we published a Food and Drinks Index as well as a Basic Food Basket Index, using a combination of daily prices from two large supermarkets in Buenos Aires and the same methodologies of the INDEC before its intervention in 2007. Our task led us to create [/font]The Billion Prices Project[font=Lucida Grande'] at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), y then [/font]PriceStats[font=Lucida Grande'], the first private enterprise to calculate aggregate price indexes in the world.[/font]

I don't see why it wouldn't work here. I don't know the specifics of what they measure but things like fuel prices, wholesale prices, consumer prices etc are available online in Argentina.

1. Argentina's economy is 60% services, and those services fluctuate greatly. They admitted they have a blind spot there.
2. Prices are far more likely to be listed online for CapFed. This would skew the survey geographically.
3. I just ran through my monthly expenses: rent, kids' tuition, chino, utilities. how much of that is online? the stuff en blanco. You would need a face to face survey to cover the rest.

The point is you need an honest INDEC to get that, and I aint holding my breath.

2. Prices are far more likely to be listed online for CapFed. This would skew the survey geographically.

The point is you need an honest INDEC to get that, and I aint holding my breath.

fwiw IDEC only looked at Buenos Aires area prices as well I think.

Perhaps you missed ARbound posting this on June 19, 2012 in the "Plans to leave?" thread:

"I'm stuck here until I can get enough USD
to move to Europe for school as I hated living in Canada and even don't want to go back there now.

Argentina is an expat revolving door I think because of one of three reasons:

a) People think it's a semi-developed country con buena clima y buena gente where you can
get a job just by speaking English and live a quality of life you were used to previously.
(Only one thing is true, here's a hint: It's 71º and the beginning of February).

b ) They're masochists.

c) They ignore all good advice and/or only read stores from pre-2011.

I was A & C and can't wait to leave. As I always say, anyone thinking of moving here reading this:
RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. THIS COUNTRY IS PRETTY TO VISIT BUT HELL TO LIVE IN."

http://baexpats.org/...ve/page__st__20
Am I reading your right Steve? Can't wait to leave?

I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that shops are fleecing us too and taking advantage of the inflation.
My banana index is a good example of this, where the price per kg varies according to which direction the wind is blowing.

Is the inflation, and the hiding thereof, actually any worse in Argentina than else where?
I know the US reported something ridiculous like 1.3% for last year but they don´t include food or energy ...
All that money printing by the Fed is having an effect, admit it or not.

Is the inflation, and the hiding thereof, actually any worse in Argentina than else where?
I know the US reported something ridiculous like 1.3% for last year but they don´t include food or energy ...
All that money printing by the Fed is having an effect, admit it or not.

You have got to be kidding me.

You have got to be kidding me.
No, actually I am not kidding. I haven{t been here long enough to get an actual on ground feel for it but I can say that I am paying ín pesos about the same for a cup of coffee that I did six months ago. I know for sure on the ground in Europe before I left the cost (in local currency) for food had gone up in the same time frame.
All the money printing going on (us and europe at least) is having an effect, how far and deep that ripples out ...

Back