Are There Places Like This In Argentina?

arlean

Registered
I've been in Chile about a month and, in a way, I love it. Well, it's a beautiful country but what I like is not having to look over my shoulder all the time. No purse snatching, no holdups at knife or gunpoint. Of course I am visiting relatively small towns--not Santiago this trip.

There are some burglaries here, however.

I think BAExpats has readers all over. Are there places like this in Argentina--away from Buenos Aires? And where are they? I've spent some time in Viedma--and liked it, and a few other places--but what is it like to LIVE there is what I wonder.

I've been in Chile about a month and, in a way, I love it. Well, it's a beautiful country but what I like is not having to look over my shoulder all the time. No purse snatching, no holdups at knife or gunpoint. Of course I am visiting relatively small towns--not Santiago this trip.

I think BAExpats has readers all over. Are there places like this in Argentina--away from Buenos Aires? And where are they? I've spent some time in Viedma--and liked it, and a few other places--but what is it like to LIVE there is what I wonder.
Mendoza, 850 000 inhabitants. Still safe after more than 4½ years. Here people carry their backpacks on their backs and you can safely cross microcentro alone at 4 am. I have written about it previously and it hasn't changed. http://baexpats.org/...doza/#post33198

This holds for many towns in las provincias - I have visited some 25 and always felt safe as opposed to BsAs.

You have to be very alert in Valparaiso, Chile (where I lived previously) - certain parts of town are extremely dangerous.

Thanks John.St. I do realize there's a lot of difference between where I am now and a city the size of Buenos Aires. There is always more to watch out for in a city that size (in all fairness to B.A.) And Gringoboy, I don't know what it is that people like about Argentina. It is SO INTERESTING to me how each country, divided by nothing but perhaps a river (Rio Plata) or mountains (Andes) can have such different "personalities." But they do.

Also "feeling safe" is not the same as a really low crime area. I felt my apartment in B.A. was completely secure Takes a key to get in the building to start with, 27 apartments in the building, I can hear parties on other floors, a caretaker living in the premises, living high up where it would take spiderman, you think, to get to the apartment from the outside, and someone kicks in the door in the middle of the day. I'm traveling now with my small Canon camera thinking about my Nikon that was stolen in that place where I felt so secure. Of course it's a rented apartment and when I own where I live it is going to be a lot harder to do that.

I'm not complaining, just thought we'd hear from people in Argentina with experience in other places.

Please,please just stop with your simplistic arguments. Argentina is nearly 10 times larger than Chile and has some of the most beautiful scenery of the world. Now for you Chile is paradise as they did not rob you on the street yet. Wait to you do business in Chile and see how they rob you . They are not famous all around South America for their cunningness for no reason!

Please,please just stop with your simplistic arguments. Argentina is nearly 10 times larger than Chile and has some of the most beautiful scenery of the world. Now for you Chile is paradise as they did not rob you on the street yet. Wait to you do business in Chile and see how they rob you . They are not famous all around South America for their cunningness for no reason!

Some cliches are deeply ingrained here about the nature of pungistas Chilenos (pickpockets) . As I hear this reputation originated in the 50's ? when Argentina WAS prosperous and poor fa mined Chilean laborers came over and were known for being pickpockets.

Well the tables have turned and 60 years later Chileans come here only as tourists to benefit from the Blue rate, while Argentinos seek employment in Chile.

Still plenty of Chilean pickpockets - their fame stretches to Europe, Ba is just a training ground before they move on to the big fish.

Back