Are these things true?

BA4me said:
Can you tell me which things are ridiculous and which things if any are true? Have foreigners really been murdered here? Is it that common?
Yeah, it is so pack up and leave.

So from most of the answers I am seeing, there is SOME truth to what's being said in these articles. I am not one to believe the hype but the pictures of these poor young women and this french photographer haunt me. It seems these murders were recent also. How sad and scary.

The French photographer would still be alive if he would have given up the camera without a fight. Instead he resisted. He shouldn't have resisted. His life was much more important than that camera.

Just follow basic common sense (don't take your clothes off in the middle of nowhere when you are alone with a man in a strange country) and you'll be fine.

va2ba said:
The French photographer would still be alive if he would have given up the camera without a fight. Instead he resisted. He shouldn't have resisted. His life was much more important than that camera.

Just follow basic common sense (don't take your clothes off in the middle of nowhere when you are alone with a man in a strange country) and you'll be fine.

I see you are blaming the victim, who I can turn around and say the photographer would be alive if they hadn`t murdered him while trying to steal his camera. You will be punished and live a miserable life for having this point of view. Lowlife!

BA4me said:
I see you are blaming the victim, who I can turn around and say the photographer would be alive if they hadn`t murdered him while trying to steal his camera. You will be punished and live a miserable life for having this point of view. Lowlife!

Wow, I can already tell that you will be one of those members if you decide to come here. Just your fifth post and already resorting to name calling against someone who was trying to help you to feel better about coming here.

The simple fact of the matter is, whether you want to believe it or not, is that if you resist when someone is trying to rob you, bad things will happen. It is that way all over the world.

If he had just handed over the camera, he would still be alive and it pains me that this happened to him because it has almost happened to me.

Those two "reports" have been written by the same person and they are idiotic.

When you read "There is a campaign against foreigners in Buenos Aires, they will send people posing as criminals to rob, rape and murder, with the stolen goods and money being put right back in the president's hands.", do you need someone to tell you that's BS?

The crime rate is indeed higher here than in Europe or the US but well, like it has been stated, if you are cautious enough (not showing a 2000$ camera or such in the street), risks are quite limited (I never got assaulted in almost ten years here, and I've taken the suburban trains day and night for quite some time).

If you spend a few years here, you'll get scammed sooner or later, that's for sure (and not only by "poor people").

French jurist said:
If you spend a few years here, you'll get scammed sooner or later, that's for sure (and not only by "poor people").

If you are unable to discern the tangy odour of BS in those two articles even with limited knowlege of Argentina then you will undoubtedly be scammed within about 15 minutes.

pauper said:
If you are unable to discern the tangy odour of BS in those two articles even with limited knowlege of Argentina then you will undoubtedly be scammed within about 15 minutes.
You really think it would take that long?

The comment about vb2ba blaming the victims is emotional nonsense in my opinion. I didn't see a post blaming the victims, but rather making a very good point about how to avoid the errors of those who have been victimized in one fashion or another.

Someone who is murdered or raped or victimized in any other way is not to blame for what happened because obviously a freaking animal committed a heinous act - the victims didn't do it to themselves. But for god's sake - learn from what they did that put themselves in jeopardy to begin with and lose the high horse for blaming someone who comments on how such situations can be avoided!

Lesson 101 during a robbery: your camera (wallet, watch, jewelry, etc) is NOT WORTH YOUR LIFE.

Lesson 102 for avoiding rape: Don't get undressed in front of a stranger in the middle of nowhere and expect nothing to happen. It SHOULDN'T if that person is not an animal, but you can't depend on that.

Those are specific examples, but peole coming here should be on guard at all times. And that holds true for anywhere in the world you go, even to more developed countries (and yes, including the US).

Here, don't stop on the streets at night to answer a seemingly innocent inquiry from a stranger, no matter how he (or she) is dressed. There's maybe an even chance that it will be part of a setup for robbery, at least if it's during the night or early morning.

Don't wear expensive jewelry, even in daylight, even in highly populated places. As I've posted before, I know personally a guy who had his watch ripped off his arm by a passing motorcycle robbery team (motochorros) on one of the busiest streets (both pedestrian and auto traffic) in Capital Federal in the middle of the day. I personally witnessed a motochorro team assault an old lady, ripping her purse off her shoulder on a busy street corner with a good 50 people nearby, causing her to spin around and crack her head on the sidewalk when she fell.

When you're on the subway or bus, when people start crowding against you, go for your waller, purse, cellphone, etc, immediately because there's a good chance a pickpcket is taking your stuff. Everyone of my family members have been robbed in this fashion - including my wife's older sister just three days ago who had her brand new phone stolen on a bus - that phone had replaced one stolen the previous week on the subte! A corollary to that rule: don't use your cellphone on the subte or bus because professionals will watch exactly where you put it when you're done and it will make it that much easier for them to target it - not to mention they can see whether it's worth stealing or not.

I've lived here for 6 years and have never been robbed or assaulted. You better believe I am knocking on wood at this very moment! But I dress down when I got out to walk, I know what areas to avoid, and I don't stop to answer queries from people I don't know. If I were held up, I'd give my money to the robbers immediately and wish them a nice day, at least audibly. I wouldn't even bother going to the police because they will just laugh about it. But I also don't go around with more than a couple hundred pesos in my pocket and I don't carry a hard-to-replace ID - if I do, I'm taking a taxi or driving my car.

Cristina IS a thief and she doesn't give a rat's ass about the people. But to think that she's targeting foreigners in some dark scheme to rob them and maybe scare them off is ludicrous. She can make much more money stealing from her own people wth less repurcussions and she gains nothing from scaring off foreigners in that manner.

I believe there is another economic crisis coming, sure. I don't see how it can be avoided, but the question is when and how bad. I wouldn't want to be here earning money in pesos when it happens, but if you are working for a foreign company, that issue will be mitigated. Whatever, as someone mentioned previously, make sure you have an out if things get bad. But I doubt you will be personally targeted in anyhting that goes on here related to a crisis.

For those earning money outside the country with a relatively strong currency, the only thing to really worry about personally in a coming crisis is going to be the lack of goods (foreign or domestically produced) that will be available to be purchased, or the price at which foreign goods will be available if they are. Things are already going that direction with the import rules put into place in February. But hell, it's not always easy to find things you want here anyway, and sometimes even things you need, which in the past has had nothing to do with the economy but rather poor planning and management on the part of producers, distributors and retailers.

The Argentine people are the ones who are really going to suffer, and that is the real shame.

The thing that should be giving you pause as to whether or not to come live here is what it has always been: can you adust to the everyday problems that have always been here related to finding a place to rent more than a month at a time at a reasonable cost, being able to do certain things as a foreigner (like have a bank account and get money outside of ATMs nto the country easily) and dealing with a lack of quality service in many things here.

Back