Are these things true?

BA4me said:
I see you are blaming the victim, who I can turn around and say the photographer would be alive if they hadn`t murdered him while trying to steal his camera. You will be punished and live a miserable life for having this point of view. Lowlife!

I don't think he's blaming the victim. Its a fact of life here. You are responsible for your own actions.

It is misleading to say that "If he hadn't resisted, he'd still be alive" because we don't know what REALLY went on in that second or minute that the guy was murdered.

But here's how you should look at it, if you're going to leave your car unlocked and then its stolen by some thief, well you are still to blame for the moronic act of leaving the car unlocked.

I think it is this point that va2ba was trying to make. No one in their right mind thinks that the French tourist was responsible for his death. He was murdered by people who robbed him and that's that.

You need to be careful is all people here are saying. Things happen. Sometimes people get robbed or murdered even if they are street geniuses.

The only thing I can tell you is, be street smart and don't live a paranoid life if you come here. If you think you will be paranoid then you're better off elsewhere. You have to depend on yourself down here, the police won't really do much on your behalf.

If you're not an independent person like that, then uh don't come down here.

nicoenarg said:
I don't think he's blaming the victim. Its a fact of life here. You are responsible for your own actions.

It is misleading to say that "If he hadn't resisted, he'd still be alive" because we don't know what REALLY went on in that second or minute that the guy was murdered.

But here's how you should look at it, if you're going to leave your car unlocked and then its stolen by some thief, well you are still to blame for the moronic act of leaving the car unlocked.

I think it is this point that va2ba was trying to make. No one in their right mind thinks that the French tourist was responsible for his death. He was murdered by people who robbed him and that's that.

You need to be careful is all people here are saying. Things happen. Sometimes people get robbed or murdered even if they are street geniuses.

The only thing I can tell you is, be street smart and don't live a paranoid life if you come here. If you think you will be paranoid then you're better off elsewhere. You have to depend on yourself down here, the police won't really do much on your behalf.

If you're not an independent person like that, then uh don't come down here.

You are right here nicoenarg, I was not trying to blame the victim. And you are also right that it was misleading for me to say that. I was not there, so I don't know what happened, and there is no point to try and find out what would have happened if he had no resisted.

I do not think I did the best job of wording my thoughts in that post. I was trying to point out that there are things that can and should be done in certain situations to avoid being robbed or worse. If someone is trying to rob you then you should give them what they want. A few hundred dollars, a passport, a camera can all be replaced. But your life can't.

"The first article should not even be considered.

This is a city, so people will get murdered, just as in every other city in the world. The murder rate here is better than that of Washington D.C.

And a few of the murders that take place a bound to be foreigners, given how many live or visit here. But no, there is no state-sanctioned mass murdering or raping of foreigners in this city.

There are places where it is not safe, places where you should not go. There are places that should never be considered safe. But use your head and keep your eyes open and you'll most likely be fine. We've had a few close calls. But at night, I feel far safer here than I have ever felt in DC at night.

The second article is just a rant about the president. Here is what you need to know. Most honest people with money don't like her, and she doesn't like them. The president's support base is from the poor people, many of whom receive favors if they vote for her.

And yes, the president and her goonies are running this country this country straight into the ground."

Totally agree with you and I'm argentinean

Back