Are We Out Of Nutella?

Girino

Registered
I have been checkin the local drugstore, Disco, Coto and the Carrefour of San Isidro and Nutella has been missing for a month, now.

Did you notice it, as well?

Terrible news is that future production might be in danger, but the Nutella sold here is made in Brasil and I thought it would take a while to notice the hazelnut shortage on the market.

I made a horrible mistake one day and read the list of ingredients on a bottle of Nutella. I haven't eaten it since.

Don't keep us in suspense - tell us what is in Nutella that you found so disturbing.

I could care less about germs or bacteria.

Nutella is mostly hydrogenated palm oil with a little chocolate/hazelnut flavoring. I love the stuff, but the idea of eating whipped vegetable oil ruined the experience.

I was first introduced to Nutella in the 1970s in New York City from my off-the-boat Italian neighbors who used to give it to their kids like we used to eat peanut butter. It was never my favorite thing, but I ate it here and there, it was good tasting. Back then it was manufactured in Italy and imported. I remember reading the label and it was all in Italian with a ingredient sticker in English stuck on the side of the jar. The last time I ate it was probably around 1980....fast forward 30 years to Buenos Aires. I was given a jar in a gift basket a couple of years ago. I opened it and it sure smelled like it used to but the taste was totally different, much more artificial tasting and sweet beyond sweet. Maybe my palate has changed over 30 years, but Nutella is not the same product as it was years back. This of course goes for many prodcuts on the market.

This thread is proof that the BAExapts will discuss anything! :)

Here is all you ever wanted to know about Nutella, including a nice recipe for a homemade version at the end:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/nutella-imported-vs-domestic-is-there-a-difference/2014/05/30/3fe79e68-e5bb-11e3-8f90-73e071f3d637_story.html

Back