Argentina Crime a reality check

Although JP has just expressed the same ideas that I was going to post, and better than me I think, I still want to contribute to this along the same lines, in my own words.

Sara, perhaps what you fail to notice is that you have exactly the same position as those that insist Bs As is not dangerous. Why?

Because:

Sara didn't see any violent crime in Washington D.C.= Reasons for not being afraid in D.C.
Even when statistics show crime was a problem.

Expat X in Bs As didn't see any violent crime in Bs As = Reasons for not being afraid in Bs As
Even when statistics show crime is a problem.

The only other contribution that I want to add to this admittedly pointless exercise ("and why are you contributing" I hear you ask) is that the Crime & Insecurity issues are a permanent favourite song in Buenos Aires among people of certain status and that has been the case for a lot longer than the last few years.

If anyone cares to do the digging and find a Rough Guide to Argentina volume from about 10 years ago, you'll see that the Personal Safety and Crime thing was already all the rage back then, significant enough to deserve a warning page or two in the general info part of that travel guide, along the lines of "it's not as safe as it used to be". When I say "the Personal Safety and Crime thing" I refer specifically to the "One can't go out at night anymore" mantra.

And when was it that used to be so safe in the mythical past? I tell you when:

I grew up in Buenos Aires and I grew up hearing the relentless "It was safer ten years ago, not anymore" dirge, all the time. In fact, the only times when you didn't hear it quite as much was during the 70s when we were all so safe with a dictatorship that knew well how to take care of delinquents.

(...and for those here too dim to detect the irony, I am being ironic when I say it was all safe with the juntas, shame that I actually have to clarify it with a Irony Alert signpost just in case).

erocifeller said:
You love fear mongering on this message board! Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks, erocifeller - so nice to see that my good work is appreciated.

Well, "No hay peor sordo que el que no quiere oir", so I give up on trying to make some of you accept reality. So please, just go ahead and keep ignoring the media, and avoid any information on crime that may come your way. It is so much nicer to believe that Buenos Aires is perfectly safe for expats, no matter what the paranoid locals may think.

In case anyone is interested, I have a special relationship with a tattoo parlor, and can get discounts for forum members who would like to have IGNORANCE IS BLISS tattooed on the forehead.;)

=========

NoPat, please don't turn the crime thing into a matter of class, saying that "the Crime & Insecurity issues are a permanent favourite song in Buenos Aires among people of certain status". They are not - people in the villas are the first victimized, but they generally don't make the papers.

FYI, while in Washington I did not rely only on my own personal perceptions to feel safe or unsafe. Perhaps you don't know this, but Washington DC was then two separate cities, roughly divided by Rock Creek and the Anacostia River. 92% of crimes took place in the "other Washington", so I had good reason to feel safe in my area of town.

And according to Paul Verhoeven, giant bugs are going to exterminate all of BA sometime in the future (Starship Troopers, actually entertaining).

At the risk of being patronising I think it is pretty obvious that our demographics will also affect our perceptions..who hasn´t been young and reskless, living life to the full and feeling immortal, imagining they have full control of every situation and that they could never be a victim of something bad?...and who doesn´t with advancing years, and perhaps family, start to fully understand the preciousness of this one life we have been granted and start to see dangers of which the young may be blissfully ignorant. Neither position is wrong...it is simply our nature. I for one with 42 years under my belt fall more on the SaraSara side, knowing way too many people who have victims of crime, ourselves included and whilst I love Argentina regret deeply having to live looking over my shoulder.
That anyone wishes to to love in Sao Paolo, Mexico city or other serious crime capitals is a real mystery to me..with where do they compare themselves to be able to get out of bed in the morning?

SaraSara said:
so I give up on trying to make some of you accept reality. So please, just go ahead and keep ignoring the media, and avoid any information on crime that may come your way. It is so much nicer to believe that Buenos Aires is perfectly safe for expats, no matter what the paranoid locals may think.

I think the first sentence needs a "My" as in "I give up on trying to make some of you accept my reality".

And well, if we accept that locals are paranoid we might just as well admit that being in said altered state of mind isn't that solid a ground to appreciate things with certain objectivity.

perry said:

Contrary to your own mind, I did not contract the fact that BA is safer than a bunch of other places.

My issues with your original post are as follows:
1. You have a tendency to post dubious sources. This is another prime example.
2. The murder rates in Brazil or anywhere else are not relevant to us living HERE in BA. I bet the violent crime rate is lower in Fiji. So?
3. Crime rates may be lower in BA than in "Brazil" but they are also going up.

texxaslonghorn said:
I bet there would be some fistfights if every member of this website got together.

lol. nah. It's actually more fun to have these discussions in person.

Back