Argentina extended Visa option?

Bajo...if I'm understanding you correctly, If I stay 180 days (6 months) then upon leaving the country, they will charge me 2700 pesos for each person in my family for the extra 90 days I stayed?

The $2700 figure is the current amount charged for the 90 day renewal of the tourist visa. You can add 50% if you apply for the renewal on or after the 91st day (or during the grace period of 30 days).

Migraciones will charge $4500 pesos for each person in your family who has overstayed their 90 days visa by one day (up to two years). If you plan to overstay by more than 90 days, but less than two years there's no point (at least cost wise) in paying for the renewals.

Here are the current overstay fees (which are subject to change without notice):

Extranjeros NO Mercosur residente irregular hasta 2 años:
$4500

Extranjeros NO Mercosur residente irregular de 2 a 4 años:
$9000

Extranjeros NO Mercosur residente irregular superior a 4 años
o imposibilidad de demostrar la fecha de ingreso: $15000

Source: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexA.php?habilitacion_salida

Last edited:
Forgot to ask...I've entered Argentina 2 times already and without any Visa. Just my USA passport. Do I need to apply at the Argentine embassy for a VISA to Argentina? Thanks!

No. US passport holders are exempt.

The $2700 figure is the current amount charged for the 90 day renewal of the tourist visa. You can add 50% if you apply for the renewal on or after the 91st day (or during the grace period of 30 days).

Migraciones will charge $4500 pesos for each person in your family who has overstayed their 90 days visa by one day (up to two years). If you plan to overstay by more than 90 days, but less than two years there's no point (at least cost wise) in paying for the renewals.

Here are the current overstay fees (which are subject to change without notice):

Extranjeros NO Mercosur residente irregular hasta 2 años:
$4500

Extranjeros NO Mercosur residente irregular de 2 a 4 años:
$9000

Extranjeros NO Mercosur residente irregular superior a 4 años
o imposibilidad de demostrar la fecha de ingreso: $15000

Source: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexA.php?habilitacion_salida

Thanks! This information is super helpful

Forgot to ask...I've entered Argentina 2 times already and without any Visa. Just my USA passport. Do I need to apply at the Argentine embassy for a VISA to Argentina? Thanks!

People talk here incorrectly about visas, it is the I-94 (entrance permit). When you leave, no matter how long you overstayed, you pay a fine per person.

We just got to Argentina with our three kids to do a cultural immersion - we plan to enroll them in a local school. We plan to extend the 90 day visa via trips to Uruguay and Chile - hopefully it will work. We're not working while here.

We just got to Argentina with our three kids to do a cultural immersion - we plan to enroll them in a local school. We plan to extend the 90 day visa via trips to Uruguay and Chile - hopefully it will work. We're not working while here.

Do not do it. Just overstay. Pay the fine at the end when you leave.

Update- I left EZE today and the fine is now 15,000 pesos. Moreover I forgot exactly at what point during the process I would be told to pay and apparently the girl who checked me in didn’t notice (I speak Rioplatense Spanish fluently) and once I got to the control de pasaportes, I was summoned to a special room where the chief of airport police made me sign a document stating I owe Argentina 15.000 AR and the airline was fined 300.000 pesos for letting me almost slide without paying. I can either pay upon my return (weird? I assume it’s pay whatever the fine is at that point in time) or have someone pay it for me at Banco Nación but they let me go without paying after signing this IOU type document.

They are really cracking down. The chief of police told me if my mom is Argy she suggested going ahead with obtaining a 3rd passport. :0

Update- I left EZE today and the fine is now 15,000 pesos. Moreover I forgot exactly at what point during the process I would be told to pay and apparently the girl who checked me in didn’t notice (I speak Rioplatense Spanish fluently) and once I got to the control de pasaportes, I was summoned to a special room where the chief of airport police made me sign a document stating I owe Argentina 15.000 AR...

How long was your overstay.? The migraciones website still shows the fee for an overstay of less than two years as $4500 pesos. The $15,000 figure applies to overstays of more than four years. I wonder if the fee/fine has actually been increased or, if in your case, you were "charged" the maximum for not paying prior to check in.

I can either pay upon my return (weird? I assume it’s pay whatever the fine is at that point in time) or have someone pay it for me at Banco Nación but they let me go without paying after signing this IOU type document.

A few years ago there was a thread by a US citizen who was denied entry at EZE because he left Argentina without paying the fee and had NOT paid it prior to his return, so, unless you can be certain that it's possible to pay it after your arrival at EZE, it's probably a good idea to either pay it online (if that's possible) or have someone pay it for you before you return.

Back