Argentina ( Highest inflation in the World)

Locally produced fresh foods are much cheaper than similar in the US or Europe in my experience. Vegetables and beef for example cost much less. If people stop buying all the processed and imported foods they could eat for relatively little.

It's not imported or processed foods that are the problem, it's any attempt at a varied diet. Great, people can eat beef for cheap... what about other, healthier proteins? Fish, nuts, and quinoa, all staples of a healthy diet, are too expensive to be staples here. I don't even want to know what lamb costs. Hormone-free dairy is virtually non-existent, and a liter of that Sancor crap actually costs MORE than 64 ounces of organic milk back in the States. In 2009, organic, whole-grain bread (from Hausbrot) and my darling avocados were both much cheaper than in the States; now they are both more expensive. I shell out almost 9 pesos for a liter of fresh-squeezed orange juice (the only commercial brand not from concentrate or laden with sugar), about twice of what fresh-squeezed O.J. costs in the States. And forget about finding dark chocolate...

I eat MUCH better in the U.S. (organic, local, much wider variety) for less money. Hell, all of the organic pears and garlic sold at Whole Foods come from Argentina, and cost half of what their non-organic counterparts cost at Disco! Yes, you can eat cheaply here on a diet of pasta, beef, and root vegetables, but locals shouldn't have to break the bank to eat more healthfully.

Granjas carry meat and chicken, not just chicken. Think butchers shop.

citygirl said:
Granjas carry meat and chicken, not just chicken. Think butchers shop.

Now Citygirl is just showin' me up.

When I think of Granjas, I think "places to buy chicken". When she thinks of Granjas, she thinks "Places Napoleon thinks only sell chicken, but really sell beef as well."

...or something like that.

Actually, the inflation in Belarus at the moment is about 39% for the year but Argentina is in the top 5 right now

Never Napoleon - just clarifying for the rest of the people!

The granja by me (outside of Cap Fed) has the BEST meat and really, it's half the price of what I pay if I go to the supermarkets, including Makro. Don't really understand it but as in many things, easier not to try and figure it out:D

Where in the states can you find a liter of fresh squeezed orange juice for $2.25, much less half of that? I have a home in a big orange growing part of California and can't buy OJ for 9 pesos.

Fresh fruits and vegetables cost about one-quarter here what I pay in the US. Today I walked out of a vegetable store with a big bag of rocket, watercress, chicory, pounds of tomatoes, peas, onions and garlic. It cost $3.00 US. This would be at least $15 (US) in the US.

Fish is also mostly cheaper here. Chicken is the only thing I find to be more expensive, and that's only in Baires. I haven't looked at Quinoa prices.

I'm always shocked at the claims of what costs more here. I'm in the States and Euope often and travel throughout. Very few things other than electronics cost more in Argentina. Before this year, most everything was MUCH cheaper here. Now it's just cheaper.

Glad to hear it's so cheap. Makes me feel better. Guess I was hallucinating.

Should you want to feel MUCH better, book a week in NYC, San Francisco, London or Paris.

gouchobob said:
I have my own thoughts but what do people believe is causing the inflation? How can or will it be brought under control?
Increase the money supply so they can inflate their way out of debt. No desire to control inflation.

Back