Argentina ( Highest inflation in the World)

I just thought I would throw in a couple of random, non-oj related comments:

1) the three items of a) inflation in argentina of 25%, b) inflation in US of 3% (with core inflation lower) and c) a stable peso/usd cannot all exist together in the medium to long term.

2) argentina is the only country on earth where the head of the economy states that increases in the money supply have nothing to do with inflation.

3) i dont think it is a good idea to "do what locals do." most people here were caught totally by surprise during the last crisis, and it is not clear to me why the average "local" would be more prepared for the next crisis.

4) purchasing non-income producing land does not seem like a good way to avoid inflation to me. in some ways, the real-estate market in argentina functions as the shadow of a dysfunctional banking system. apartment prices relative to rents and/or income dont seem cheap to me. neither does land.

jjsto said:
3) i dont think it is a good idea to "do what locals do." most people here were caught totally by surprise during the last crisis, and it is not clear to me why the average "local" would be more prepared for the next crisis.

The average "local" keeps at least SOME US Dollars stashed away in some kind of safe/secret hiding place at home. This wasn't so much the case during the last crisis because the peso & dollar were 1:1, so no one thought that there was a need to do that.

Is it actually not cheaper to squeeze your own OJ every morning than to buy it?

Well, yes. But considering how much effort it takes just to get my coffee going every morning, the squeezing of my own O.J. would be akin to a superhuman feat of strength.

I'll just keep shelling out the 9 pesos ;)

starlucia said:
Well, yes. But considering how much effort it takes just to get my coffee going every morning, the squeezing of my own O.J. would be akin to a superhuman feat of strength.

I'll just keep shelling out the 9 pesos ;)

lol, then stop complaining about the price! if you're not willing to do something about it, I'm stripping you of your rights to complain about the price ;)

syngirl said:
lol, then stop complaining about the price! if you're not willing to do something about it, I'm stripping you of your rights to complain about the price ;)

Si, I know :eek: Frankly, though, there are a few labor-intensive staples I'm willing to pay someone to make for me: fresh juice, hummus, cold salads, a good veggie burger. My secret hope is that some talented expat entrepreneur opens up a New York-style natural/prepared-foods cafe (hint, hint, y'all...)

Great thread!!! So happy I decided to read all the responses! Hi, I am Jennifer and this is my first post. My family and I are deciding if we should move to Chile or Buenos Aires...mainly because we are finding it hard to afford the U.S. much longer. It is hard to survive on $4,000 a month. We would like to find a safe place to raise our children for a few years were we could survive comfortable for $2500 a month...going on these email, I wonder if that is possible. I hope someone will candidly responds.
Much thanks

citygirl said:
Again - because I'm curious - I just checked the prices for OJ in the US - NYC to be exact. So probably one of the most expensive places. On freshdirect, you can purchase Tropicana Pure Premium which is 100% OJ. Their price for 59 ounces (or TWO liters) is $3.79. So less than 2 dollars a liter or in other words, cheaper than here. :D The quart (which is .95 of a liter) of the boutique fresh-squeezed OJ is $2.79.

Hi, here in Massachusetts to get fresh squeeze o.j. from Odawalla will cost you over $6.00 and it is not fresh squeezed from concentrate or whatever Tropicana claims...No offense to Tropican or the juice industry. Just trying to clarify.

I am new at posting on this forum. We will be moving to Buenos Aires from the U.S. mainly because the U.S. is so expensive, the health care is on par with extortion and you needs at least $6500 a month to live VERY modestly (will in Massachusetts anyway).

Back