Argentina ( Highest inflation in the World)

dennisr said:
Increase the money supply so they can inflate their way out of debt. No desire to control inflation.

This is my view as well. There's no desire to control but they may have to change after the election, I don't think this can go on much longer without serious problems resulting(probably there will serious problems whatever they do this has gone on for a long time now). 2012 could be a very interesting year in Argentina. I don't get the arguing over prices between here and some overpriced city over there, all you need to know its quickly getting a lot more expensive here, that's the point. Its kind of like arguing over the best place to put your deck chair on the Titanic.

Their scheme is certainly trying to unravel, but they seem to live a charmed life: capital flight.

Argentina's central bank chief late Friday downplayed the significance of Argentines' rising interest in buying dollars.

The central banker's comments come after reports that the bank has had to spend increasing amounts of money to prevent the peso from moving substantially away from its current informal peg of about ARS4.085 to the U.S. dollar.

"There's been some confusion about what's been happening in recent days," Central Bank of Argentina President Mercedes Marco del Pont said in a TV interview. "It hasn't been capital flight but rather a change in peoples' [investment] portfolios."

Marco del Pont said there is "no reason to be alarmed" at rising interest in the dollar. She said the monetary authority has "enormous and absolute" power to keep the exchange rate stable.

The public comments about the currency market, which are somewhat rare for the central bank president, come as people are voicing increased concern about the future of Argentina's economic policies ahead of October's presidential election.

Meanwhile, the renewed interest in dollars, which have traditionally provided both a financial and psychological refuge for nervous Argentine investors, is meeting greater resistance from the government.

Argentine President Cristina Fernandez's administration has been making it harder to buy dollars and limiting the amount that people can buy in the formal market. This has increased demand for dollars in the informal, or so-called parallel, market and led to a rising gap between prices in both markets.

The informal rate now hovers around ARS4.43, according to a report Friday by RBS.

"The spread between both markets is now at 8.5%, the highest since 2008, and reflects increasing dollar demand," RBS said.

Anxious Argentines are buying dollars in greater numbers to hedge against a depreciating peso and economic uncertainty ahead of the election.

"We expect private dollar demand to remain strong and in line with this for the exchange rate to continue under weakening pressure," RBS reported.

With monthly dollar demand now estimated at around $2 billion, RBS expects the government to keep intervening in the currency forward market.

"There is still some cushion in the level of international reserves to withstand some intervention before triggering panic outflows, but the status quo will eventually push for an adjustment," RBS said.

Marco del Point said the central bank's reserves total around $52 billion, giving it ample capacity to keep the market stable. But such reassurances may not ease people's minds amid speculation that Fernandez may pursue more radical policies if reelected.

Fernandez hasn't said if she'll run again, but her reluctance to offer details about her policy plans, as well as comments by a top official, have fueled speculation that she would exert greater control over private sector companies in a second term.

Recent comments by Deputy Economy Minister Roberto Feletti increased these fears.

"Populism, which a lot of people criticize, should be radicalized," he said in an interview with Debate magazine.

Feletti's office declined to clarify the meaning of his comments.

-By Taos Turner, Dow Jones Newswires; 5411-4103-6728;

[email protected]

starlucia said:
I shell out almost 9 pesos for a liter of fresh-squeezed orange juice (the only commercial brand not from concentrate or laden with sugar), about twice of what fresh-squeezed O.J. costs in the States. And forget about finding dark chocolate...

You should do what locals do -- buy kilos of oranges and juice it yourself -- you can just ask at your verduleria for the best oranges for juicing that day -- it's cheaper than buying juice by the litre, and better tasting if you ask me.

jb5 said:
Where in the states can you find a liter of fresh squeezed orange juice for $2.25, much less half of that? I have a home in a big orange growing part of California and can't buy OJ for 9 pesos.

Again - because I'm curious - I just checked the prices for OJ in the US - NYC to be exact. So probably one of the most expensive places. On freshdirect, you can purchase Tropicana Pure Premium which is 100% OJ. Their price for 59 ounces (or TWO liters) is $3.79. So less than 2 dollars a liter or in other words, cheaper than here. :D The quart (which is .95 of a liter) of the boutique fresh-squeezed OJ is $2.79.

citygirl said:
Again - because I'm curious - I just checked the prices for OJ in the US - NYC to be exact. So probably one of the most expensive places. On freshdirect, you can purchase Tropicana Pure Premium which is 100% OJ. Their price for 59 ounces (or TWO liters) is $3.79. So less than 2 dollars a liter or in other words, cheaper than here. :D The quart (which is .95 of a liter) of the boutique fresh-squeezed OJ is $2.79.

Not only are the goods more expensive here, the salaries are not even comparable to the salaries in NYC. So I suspect, as a percentage the cost of food is a lot higher here than most places in the USA.

dennisr said:
Their scheme is certainly trying to unravel, but they seem to live a charmed life: capital flight.

Argentina's central bank chief late Friday downplayed the significance of Argentines' rising interest in buying dollars.

The central banker's comments come after reports that the bank has had to spend increasing amounts of money to prevent the peso from moving substantially away from its current informal peg of about ARS4.085 to the U.S. dollar.

"There's been some confusion about what's been happening in recent days," Central Bank of Argentina President Mercedes Marco del Pont said in a TV interview. "It hasn't been capital flight but rather a change in peoples' [investment] portfolios."

Marco del Pont said there is "no reason to be alarmed" at rising interest in the dollar. She said the monetary authority has "enormous and absolute" power to keep the exchange rate stable.

The public comments about the currency market, which are somewhat rare for the central bank president, come as people are voicing increased concern about the future of Argentina's economic policies ahead of October's presidential election.

Meanwhile, the renewed interest in dollars, which have traditionally provided both a financial and psychological refuge for nervous Argentine investors, is meeting greater resistance from the government.

Argentine President Cristina Fernandez's administration has been making it harder to buy dollars and limiting the amount that people can buy in the formal market. This has increased demand for dollars in the informal, or so-called parallel, market and led to a rising gap between prices in both markets.

The informal rate now hovers around ARS4.43, according to a report Friday by RBS.

"The spread between both markets is now at 8.5%, the highest since 2008, and reflects increasing dollar demand," RBS said.

Anxious Argentines are buying dollars in greater numbers to hedge against a depreciating peso and economic uncertainty ahead of the election.

"We expect private dollar demand to remain strong and in line with this for the exchange rate to continue under weakening pressure," RBS reported.

With monthly dollar demand now estimated at around $2 billion, RBS expects the government to keep intervening in the currency forward market.

"There is still some cushion in the level of international reserves to withstand some intervention before triggering panic outflows, but the status quo will eventually push for an adjustment," RBS said.

Marco del Point said the central bank's reserves total around $52 billion, giving it ample capacity to keep the market stable. But such reassurances may not ease people's minds amid speculation that Fernandez may pursue more radical policies if reelected.

Fernandez hasn't said if she'll run again, but her reluctance to offer details about her policy plans, as well as comments by a top official, have fueled speculation that she would exert greater control over private sector companies in a second term.

Recent comments by Deputy Economy Minister Roberto Feletti increased these fears.

"Populism, which a lot of people criticize, should be radicalized," he said in an interview with Debate magazine.

Feletti's office declined to clarify the meaning of his comments.

-By Taos Turner, Dow Jones Newswires; 5411-4103-6728;

[email protected]

To buy dollars in this market is the height of madness as clearly with inflation at 20 % in dollar terms you are losing a huge chunk of your savings within a short period . I will say it again fiat currencies will be the downfall of many here.

Buy gold, silver,and a well located property and you will be much safer than keeping large investments in dollars !

jb5 said:
Where in the states can you find a liter of fresh squeezed orange juice for $2.25, much less half of that?

In Florida :) But I'm not referring to real fresh-squeezed juice; I'm referring to the pasteurized, not-from-concentrate Citric brand sold in the supermarket (almost 9 pesos for 33 ounces.) That's the exact same stuff as the Simply Orange I buy at Publix, which is $2.99 for 59 ounces.

Fresh fruits and vegetables cost about one-quarter here what I pay in the US. Today I walked out of a vegetable store with a big bag of rocket, watercress, chicory, pounds of tomatoes, peas, onions and garlic. It cost $3.00 US. This would be at least $15 (US) in the US.

Fish is also mostly cheaper here. Chicken is the only thing I find to be more expensive, and that's only in Baires. I haven't looked at Quinoa prices.

I'm sorry, but where in the US are you shopping? :confused: In Florida, if you stick to local stands, farmer's markets, and Latin American shops, the prices of most produce items are on par with those of Buenos Aires (or you have the choice of paying a bit more for organic: here, 5 non-organic kiwi are about $2 US; in FL, 5 organic kiwi are $2.65 US. A pound of organic carrots is $1.29 US, a pound of organic Argentine pears is $1.69 US while non-organic is 99 cents.) So while some items (especially root veggies, onions, and spinach) are cheaper here, being able to buy the organic version for the same price or a bit more, is (IMO) a better price-to-quality ratio.

And seafood, no contest. Florida fish markets sell wild-caught, fresh varieties for anywhere from $8-15 US per pound. I actually don't know how much fish goes for in BsAs these days, but I would give a huge smooch to anyone that can point me towards wild-caught, fresh salmon for less than $12 US a pound.

You can have far cheaper real fresh juice by buying the really cheap fresh oranges.

It's the processed food that's expensive here.

starlucia;116561] I shell out almost 9 pesos for a liter of fresh-squeezed orange juice

Hell, all of the organic pears and garlic sold at Whole Foods come from Argentina, and cost half of what their non-organic counterparts cost at Disco!

Is it actually not cheaper to squeeze your own OJ every morning than to buy it?

International trade practices and balancing a country's exports/imports cause the crazy and unfair differences in prices you describe.
-Italian pasta cheaper in Canada
-Scots' salmon being unaffordable to Scotsmen, cheaper for the English
-Canadian exercise equipment and clothing brands being cheaper in the US and even not being sold here where they're made. I have to shop cross-border to buy the few consumer commodities I want that are manufactured here.

Back