Argentina Marriage Not Recognized Us?

nikad

Registered
After about 10 years of marriage, I came up with this doubt. Are marriages between US nationals and foreigners performed in Argentina valid in all states across the US? Is it a good idea to get married in the US as well? Trying to sort things out for our children.

Citygirl is right. Let's say you and your husband separated but did not divorce, and you went to the U.S. on vacation and married another American. That would actually be considered bigamy on your part. American bureaucracy is surprisingly relaxed in terms of recognizing legal documents from abroad. And there are no "official translators," so if you ever do have to show your marriage certificate for any reason, a translation done by you should be just fine unless you are told otherwise. I'm doing all the document translations for my husband's spouse visa, for example, and everything has been accepted and approved so far.

I should add that gay marriages between Americans and foreigners are recognized by the federal government now that DOMA has been struck down. Of course there are still some state-by-state issues to be aware of. But gay couples can apply for spouse and fiancé(e) visas now, which is great.

I have another doubt which I don't feel merits its own thread, so apologies for piggybacking on this one. When you travel with your (foreign) spouse, and you go through passport control upon arrival, do you accompany them in the "visitor" line or do you go separate ways?

We had the issue that we were separated in passport control in Miami (luckily we both filled out the customs declaration forms in case that should happen.) I tried to tell the lady at the entrance we were married and if I could accompany him in the visitor line, but she didn't even listen - I was sent to CItizens and he to Visitors.
However after we met up and passed through customs together, we were scolded that we only needed 1 customs declaration form since we are 1 family.
I tried to explain that we filled out our own because they separated us in the passport control line and they sometimes check for the document.
I don't know what the big deal is, but he was somewhat rude about the whole thing.

This is Miami so the chances of running into an incompetent a--hole are rather great, but I would like to know how others handle it.

We actually go through the citizen line together although he's not a citizen. No one has ever given us a hard time about it.

I have another doubt which I don't feel merits its own thread, so apologies for piggybacking on this one. When you travel with your (foreign) spouse, and you go through passport control upon arrival, do you accompany them in the "visitor" line or do you go separate ways?

We had the issue that we were separated in passport control in Miami (luckily we both filled out the customs declaration forms in case that should happen.) I tried to tell the lady at the entrance we were married and if I could accompany him in the visitor line, but she didn't even listen - I was sent to CItizens and he to Visitors.
However after we met up and passed through customs together, we were scolded that we only needed 1 customs declaration form since we are 1 family.
I tried to explain that we filled out our own because they separated us in the passport control line and they sometimes check for the document.
I don't know what the big deal is, but he was somewhat rude about the whole thing.

This is Miami so the chances of running into an incompetent a--hole are rather great, but I would like to know how others handle it.

Just like citygirl, we all go through Citizens line and fill out one form. My husband and son are citizens, I enter on a tourist visa. It was actually an officer there who told us that we should all go together through Citizens after I went through the Visitor's line. This was a MIA.

Correct on entering the US. Families go through immigration together and if one of you is a citizen, then all go together through the citizen's line.

Back