US marriage recognized in Argentina?

Alilou

Registered
Are US marriages recognized in Argentina? (between US citizen and Argentine citizen) Or do you have to remarry here? The answer seems like it should be obvious but I've heard of one US/ ARG couple had to remarry here and from another US/ ARG couple that they wanted to marry here after marrying in the US and couldn't (since they were already married). Thanks in advance.

All nations recognize one another's male/female marriages, if you're gay it's a different question, is that why you're asking...?

If you get married in the US, (at least in a heterosexual couple), Arg recognizes the marriage and it is legally binding here as well.

I think I remember reading there was some issue with marriages in the US being recognized here if they were church weddings which in the US are also legal weddings (right?) but in Argentina they are separate. Check with the couples you spoke to and see if one was a church wedding & the other not.

Min, you also have to file paperwork in the state you get married to be legally married, even if you are having a church wedding. So there is a civil component as well for US weddings. You can have a church wedding but the license has to be issued by the state prior (you sign the license at the ceremony)

Perhaps in the OP's example, they just had a ceremony but didn't get a license :confused: Otherwise, if they filed the paperwork, they wouldn't have been able to get remarried here AFAIK. In fact, didn't one of our posters on BAExpats have the funny story about wanting to have a ceremony here after a secret wedding overseas and they had to hire actors to perform the ceremony:D

The civil aspect of the marriage between a man and a women is legal from either direction US to AR or AR to US. Just have the document translated and notorized and place the appostile on it and go get the DNI or your green card or whatever step you wish to pursue. [sorry, I know nothing about the legal aspects of gay marriage] I do not imagine that it will be so simple.

citygirl said:
In fact, didn't one of our posters on BAExpats have the funny story about wanting to have a ceremony here after a secret wedding overseas and they had to hire actors to perform the ceremony:D

Yes, I remember that too. I'm sure the second story is our Syngirl. That was funny.

However, I do remember reading about someone's marriage not being recognized. It was when I first arrived so perhaps the laws have changed.

But I remember this because I thought it was so crazy that I googled it & did find some mention of it. Of course now is not the right time to google "Argentina" & "marriage". You'll only get one topic. :)

PS, I'm sure the OP is not talking about gay marriage in this case.

Nope... just a plain old hetero marriage. The reason I ask is because my fiance just finalized his divorce here in Argentina (after nearly 3 years of separation) and we cannot remarry here for 2 years after his divorce was finalized. I've already been here for 2 years and I'm over the permatourist thing and Uruguay and we want to get married now... the obvious solution is marrying in the US. But I'm worried that they won't recognize the marriage until 2 years after his divorce. I guess we'll just do it and find out... sigh.

Well, that's a whole different question.
I think we need Attorney for that one.
Why not ask at the marriage registry place?

Back