Argentina Passport - Freedom of Movement Duration in Latin America

Neoperm

Registered
I understand that there is a freedom of movement under the Mercosur (and Associated Members). With that being said, how long can an Argentina passport holder can stay in other Latin American countries?

Is there any limit of duration, say 90 or 180 days?

Well, it seems that Argentine passport holders can apply and get permanent residency in Brazil pretty easily (maybe just show up?). However, what's the benefit of this PR status, in case, if there is no limit of duration stay in Brazil?

Freedom of movement in mercosur is different than the EU. Mercosur citizens have the right to request a temporary residence visa based on being a mercosur citizen in a different country. And then get PR in 2 years. Naturalized Mercosur citizens have to wait longer before they can enjoy this benefit. Otherwise you just enter as a tourist like anyone else

Argentina is also keeping an eye out for people who are coming here just to get a passport. See other threads related to Russians.

Freedom of movement in mercosur is different than the EU. Mercosur citizens have the right to request a temporary residence visa based on being a mercosur citizen in a different country. And then get PR in 2 years. Naturalized Mercosur citizens have to wait longer before they can enjoy this benefit. Otherwise you just enter as a tourist like anyone else
How much longer do naturalized citizens need to wait?

It appears to depend on each country. Based on their official government websites, Argentina requires it to be held for 5 years from people naturalized in other Mercosur nations but Bolivia doesn't. They simply state you must also bring your certificate of naturalization. Paraguay is probably similar. I think Peru might require 3 years but I haven't looked at it recently. The Colombian government migration website doesn't mention anything about treating naturalized Mercosur people different either.

It would be convenient if there was an official list of how each country handles people naturalized in other Mercosur nations. The Brazilian government website I read didn't mention anything that excludes naturalized Argentine citizens, as they have a seperate agreement with Argentine beyond the standard Mercosur one.

Source:
migracion.gob.bo/node/194

Last edited:
Back