If I overstay and pay the fee, does this make any sort of black mark on my passport / records?

aejj98

Registered
I don't figure so but I'd just like to ask to make sure. Thanks!

In Argentina you can probably always pay someone to look the other way. In 20+ years of living and working in Argentina, I've only known 2 people that got denied when they came back from a border run to Uruguay. But this was after many years of living here as a "perma-tourist". But then they waited a few weeks and got someone else and they got back in. I doubt anyone would be locked out of Argentina long-term. Maybe it's different now but I don't know anyone that has been permanently locked out of Argentina.

Let's keep things in perspective. They are letting in tons of Russians. They are allowing all the poor from Mercosur. Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, etc. They are all coming in droves. I doubt they are going to lock out any Americans or Europeans.

In Argentina you can probably always pay someone to look the other way. In 20+ years of living and working in Argentina, I've only known 2 people that got denied when they came back from a border run to Uruguay. But this was after many years of living here as a "perma-tourist". But then they waited a few weeks and got someone else and they got back in. I doubt anyone would be locked out of Argentina long-term. Maybe it's different now but I don't know anyone that has been permanently locked out of Argentina.

Let's keep things in perspective. They are letting in tons of Russians. They are allowing all the poor from Mercosur. Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, etc. They are all coming in droves. I doubt they are going to lock out any Americans or Europeans.
Hello, I just read this and have a question. I am a US expat been here for 2.5 years. My tourist visa expired in August of 2021. Migrations would not let me extend it told me I had to become a perm citizen. My wife and son are here and according to the consulate for the Argentine government I was told I have to wait until I hit the 3 year mark to apply to be a perm citizen. At that time, I can pay the overstay and apply. Reason is Argentina does a 3 year background check so if I live here for 3 years then apply all will be good. What stinks is I was told if I leave the country before then, I will not be allowed reentry for any reason meaning I would be banned from seeing my wife and child. This bothers me because of I ever need to return back to the US for an emergency between now and May of 2024, I can't. So as much as I would love to believe I can, I don't want to risk it. So if it works for someone that is great.

Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. I'm not sure in your situation. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go take a Buquebus ferry over to Uruguay at least a few times a year. Cheap and easy solution. Seems risky to wait so long. I just have a friend that overstayed her tourist visa for 2+ years as well and she paid the fine. They gave her flack but she used the COVID as an excuse.

She is coming back next month so I'll post back if she has problems entering.

Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. I'm not sure in your situation. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go take a Buquebus ferry over to Uruguay at least a few times a year. Cheap and easy solution. Seems risky to wait so long. I just have a friend that overstayed her tourist visa for 2+ years as well and she paid the fine. They gave her flack but she used the COVID as an excuse.

She is coming back next month so I'll post back if she has problems entering.
He can be rejected at the re entry with no gain on that jeopardy.

Does argentina have a 180 days in 365 day period rule? Is it rolling like ecuador or 180 days in a year like Colombia?

Or can you do multiple visa runs + 90 day extensions?

Hi, recently joined, loving the forum and the sense of community. Kudos, especially to the regular contributors! Got me seriously thinking about taking the plunge... still researching.

Would I be right in assuming that a lot of potential problems in overstaying on tourist visa go away if you have 2 passports? (Don't hurt me, family lineage has its perks!). i.e. overstay on one, leave... come back on the other.

Back