Argentina - Racism?

Stanexpat said:
I would agree with most of the comments. However, Argentina is not free of this problem but it is probably has less of a problem than other countries in S.A. Discrimination or racism is rampant throughout the continent and is the root of most of the social problems there. I've heard fatal traffic accidents reported in the Argentine press as 3 people killed and a 1 Bolivian. You can look in the employment section of the local newspapers and see applicant requirements that would be considered illegal and discriminatory most places.

A link to an article on racism in Argentina follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Argentina

Do they say three Argentinians & a Bolivian? Or do they say three people & a Bolivian, ie. Are the distinguish by nationality? That I've heard & not just in Argentina. But your specific example I have yet to hear. I'll keep my ears open.

Also, I'd be interested to know more about the job descriptions you mention. Do you have examples?

Just to clarify, I ask out of interest.

I'm Indian-American, and when I went to Argentina in May, I did not experience any discrimination on the basis of my skin color. I felt quite welcomed. On the day I left, a store owner told me "siempre bienviendo en Argentina". I was able to go to clubs and bars with no problems.

What may surprise many Indians, is that Bollywood is pretty popular in Argentina and Latin America in general. I have heard bhangra in a Buenos Aires club. A girl asked me to translate Hindi words into Spanish like: Pyar es Amore or Dil es Corozon. Latin Americans are getting exposed to desi culture. Because our presence is so rare in this part of the world, people seem eager to meet an Indian.

People seemed quite interested in my background, what really amazed them was when I told them I was American. For many people, Americans are blonde haired and blue eyed. Not brown like me. So I change their image of Americans.

I don't deny there are institutional racism in Argentina. Many of the homeless people I have seen have a skin complexion that is closer to mine. Every Mercedes I have seen in BA seemed to be driven by a blonde. Nevertheless, I don't expect a gang of skinheads will attack a brown guy.

mini said:
Do they say three Argentinians & a Bolivian? Or do they say three people & a Bolivian, ie. Are the distinguish by nationality? That I've heard & not just in Argentina. But your specific example I have yet to hear. I'll keep my ears open.

Also, I'd be interested to know more about the job descriptions you mention. Do you have examples?

Just to clarify, I ask out of interest.

No they say 3 people and a Bolivian, I guess that a Bolivian doesn't count as a person. Pick up todays papers you will probably ads specifying age and what appearance a person must have to apply for a job, this would be illegal in the states and I would bet most of Europe.

I'm black and have been in Buenos Aires for nearly a month now. I haven't encountered racism of any kind. If anything, people are completely the opposite, super friendly and always interested to find out about where I come from etc. I think your friend and his family were just very unlucky. I on the whole find Argentina to be a very tolerant society.

I think Stan is referring to one of the more infamous pantallas rojas:

2204799669_6df6d42e94.jpg

I think also that most Argentines would be horrified to discover that Cronica TV (despite its undeniable appeal) was being used as a yardstick to evaluate their society.

Moxon, thanks for finding the Cronica TV thing. I think the discrimination people suffer in S.A. is different than in Europe and N.A. It's generally not focused against people with dark skin although that's a factor. Most of the problem here is decedents of Europeans looking down at the indigenous population. A black person from the states or a dark skined person from India probably aren't going to have a problem. If you asked someone of indian decent from Bolivia or Paraguay they would tell you there is decrimination in Argentina. However I don't think its as bad as you find in other parts of S.A.

sdeepj said:
Many of the homeless people I have seen have a skin complexion that is closer to mine. Every Mercedes I have seen in BA seemed to be driven by a blonde. Nevertheless, I don't expect a gang of skinheads will attack a brown guy.

Class and skin color are correlated throughout Latin America, with indigenous and darker-skinned people always at the bottom. If a shopkeeper is hiring a sales assistant, his natural preference will be for a European type. Likewise for an office job. Of course there's no KKK in South America, but that's because the historical specifics varied so much in North and South America.

Yes, Argentineans (not all, but those from Buenos Aires) are racists towards dark skin people but NOT FROM INDIA, they are racist towards Bolivian, Colombian, Peruvians, Paraguay, out of ignorance...... But in their discrimintaion and their act of racism they will just not talk to you, means they will not harm you like in United States for example that they will beat you up for being from India..... off course not all of United States, just them red neck boys.......

Come to Argentina, you will have no problem, if you ever do, call me, you have a friend here, my phone at your service 15-6374-1962 Alex

Back