Argentina, Second Most Miserable Country On Earth?

Female reincarnation of a former Buenos Aires resident and forum member?

Is somebody seriously suggesting that to live in Syria at present is preferable to living in Argentina? This 'report' is a bad joke.

This place is indeed a nuthouse in many respects, with a 61-year-old Justin Bieber for a president and more clowns all the way down, but methinks living in the middle of a civil war when the combatants range from Bashar to ISIS may be more, er, miserable.

I will say one thing though, I did find that the people here, for the most part, are much nicer, sociable, and I've had complete strangers open their homes to me. The people here seem to be happy anyway, I think it's just because I wasn't born and raised here, so I notice the bad and disturbing things, but for everyone else it's all normal.
-_-[font=lucida sans unicode'] [/font]

Pretty curious to know your story details. Sounds like a gripping one.

Reactions: ben
You would have to see why the countries are ranked as they are. Sometimes happiness has little to do with the socioeconomic level. What I do know is that people here are incredibly big complainers about everything, although I think they do have a lot to complain about. People here can be incredibly ungrateful and unsatisfied, and that has been my experience. So that might be why Argentina is ranked so low. If the study based their facts on surveys, then maybe the Argentines surveyed said they were unhappy.

You would have to see why the countries are ranked as they are. Sometimes happiness has little to do with the socioeconomic level. What I do know is that people here are incredibly big complainers about everything, although I think they do have a lot to complain about. People here can be incredibly ungrateful and unsatisfied, and that has been my experience. So that might be why Argentina is ranked so low. If the study based their facts on surveys, then maybe the Argentines surveyed said they were unhappy.

This may explain it all. I would hazard that more residents are willing to complain for a survey in Buenos Aires than in Raqqa.

Yes sorry to hear that situation but there are other alternatives that are not Recoleta or Palermo. I am also surprised that your husband knowing how you feel about it subjects you to your daily misery!
Maybe you should consider not so much why you live in that hell but why HE allows you to live in that hell?
If he is your husband, is there no way for him to go to the USA even if he was banned?Banned for what?That is strong unless it was some crime beyond legal status in the country or at least so it would appear to me!Good luck
Got admire the sacrifice for love!

Check out the Koch Brothers Exposed documentary on Youtube to get an idea of the philosophy behind the founders of the Cato Institute Think Tank. Wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys were major investors in the vulture funds.

Argentines can be a little melodramatic, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were pessimistic or critical about their country in a survey. Ask them to compare it to a real hellhole and I'm sure the rating would go up. ;)

The US deports people for overstaying visas and working... even non-criminals.

Osprey, I think your opinion of Buenos Aires/Argentina would be a lot better if you lived in a better area. Can you move out of Lanus? The South Zone of GBA isn't great. There's a lot of poverty and it can be downright depressing. If you can't move to a nicer part of town or into the city, you should at least try to visit the better parts of the city often to keep some sanity. Recoleta and Palermo feel like a different country when compared to some of these rougher areas in provincia. I realize on a tight budget that may be hard to do, but being miserable is no way to live.

Have you started your residency process yet? I'm assuming your husband is Argentine.

Back