Argentina suspends beef exports for 30 days

I am in a rural, agricultural province. I hope the local governor bans exports of produce to other provinces to keep the price of fruit and veg low here.

You know...to fight local/regional inflation. You 'big city folk' need to grow your own damn food. Quit your stupid advanced tech jobs, put down your fancy computers and get a plow you ingrates..

Once I've convinced the province, then we can get to work on the village government and ban exports to other villages in the province.

lol....

Does anyone own a scale that measures the weight of arrogance vs stupidity? 'cause I'm not sure which is greater....

While that's true, you're forgetting this is an election year.

Lets make voting mandatory in a country full of uneducated, superstitious masses of people - steeped in bitterness and resentment of success.

Lets appeal to their worst instincts and enact pre-Ricardian economic policies that makes people 'feel' good while sending them all back to the 1700s.

The whole thing really takes the 'shine' off of democracy.

Lets make voting mandatory in a country full of uneducated, superstitious masses of people - steeped in bitterness and resentment of success.
Isn't voting already mandatory for all adult citizens and permanent residents (who are only barred from voting in the presidential elections)?

Isn't voting already mandatory for all adult citizens and permanent residents (who are only barred from voting in the presidential elections)?

Yes, sir.

I was being sarcastic.

In most democracies, voting is voluntary and only those who care - turn out to vote.

When voting is mandatory and not voting is a punishable offense, all the idiots turn out to vote....like the ones who can be swayed on how to vote with cheap meat.

Argentina is proof positive that this is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Yes, sir.

I was being sarcastic.

In most democracies, voting is voluntary and only those who care - turn out to vote.

And those who can be easily swayed by preposterous internet conspiracy theories also turn out to vote. The US is proof that this is also a bad idea. One of the drawbacks to living in a democracy is that sometimes stupid people vote other stupid people into power. I still prefer this to the alternative.

And those who can be easily swayed by preposterous internet conspiracy theories also turn out to vote. The US is proof that this is also a bad idea. One of the drawbacks to living in a democracy is that sometimes stupid people vote other stupid people into power. I still prefer this to the alternative.

I certainly wasn't using the US as a shining example.

I also didn't claim that democracy wasn't better than the alternatives.

I was making a more subtle, sophisticated point than you are 'straw manning' me out to be.

Let me simplify:
Mandatory voting + meat payoffs = bad voting outcomes.

Today A24 TV presented interviews to 3 Argentine steak resto owners in Paris. Venice and Berlin, they are scared because of the beef exports suspension . Some have meat in storage for 60 or 90 days. Others have a 2nd. choice : Texas beef ?, claimed to be excellent.

The Price of a 400 gr Argentine steak at the resto starts at 20 Euro..OMG. Don Julio looks better all the time..!

Back