Argentina: The Problem Is the State

camberiu

Registered
As long as Argentinians do not understand its key problems, they will not move forward.

FULL ARTICLE by ANTONELLA MARTY

Antonella Marty is Associate Director at the Atlas Network's Center for Latin America and Director at the Center for American Studies at Fundación Libertad, Argentina.

The National Review always thinks the state is the problem unless it means defense spending for endless wars in the middle east and subsidies for Exxon Mobile.

As long as Argentinians do not understand its key problems, they will not move forward.

FULL ARTICLE by ANTONELLA MARTY

Antonella Marty is Associate Director at the Atlas Network's Center for Latin America and Director at the Center for American Studies at Fundación Libertad, Argentina.
I read the article and i basically agree with
A) summary of how we got here
B) current problems (overspending, corrupt state apparatus)
C) solution (open up the economy, rule of law)

Sadly i also do agree with the statement that there is not much chance that this will change any time soon. Argentinians (although heading into a social and economic meltdown) seem to be overall quite happy with the current system. Viva Perón!

The National Review? Nice. I missed that neo-fascist rag.
The National Review always thinks the state is the problem unless it means defense spending for endless wars in the middle east and subsidies for Exxon Mobile.
Wouldn't a critique of the article be more constructive than a critique of the source?

If the article is correct, the problematic source is unimportant in this case. If it's wrong, shoot away.

For me, there's nothing wrong with the article on the surface and most of what's written is obviously true. That said, I don't think it adds anything other than taking an opportunity to attack Argentina. Fair enough, but I don't see the point of the article even if it is mostly on point.

Wouldn't a critique of the article be more constructive than a critique of the source?

If the article is correct, the problematic source is unimportant in this case. If it's wrong, shoot away.

For me, there's nothing wrong with the article on the surface and most of what's written is obviously true. That said, I don't think it adds anything other than taking an opportunity to attack Argentina. Fair enough, but I don't see the point of the article even if it is mostly on point.
Why do you think it is an attack on Argentina? It is written by an Argentinian, and i dont think it was meant in an offensive way.

i think she is describing how we got here, outlining a way out and giving her opinion that this probably won’t happen.

I read the article and i basically agree with
A) summary of how we got here
B) current problems (overspending, corrupt state apparatus)
C) solution (open up the economy, rule of law)

Sadly i also do agree with the statement that there is not much chance that this will change any time soon. Argentinians (although heading into a social and economic meltdown) seem to be overall quite happy with the current system. Viva Perón!

This is simply Neoliberalism - Milton Friedman economics 101. I didn't need to read the article to know what it was going to say since the author works for a think tank funded by Exxon Mobile, Phillip Morris, and the Koch brothers. Advocates of this approach have basically been making the same argument since the late 60s, and in that time there hasn't been one example of it ever working.

For example, Mexico took this approach all the way in the 90s. The state stepped aside, so much so that in less than a decade much of the country was governed by organized crime who control almost every part of the economy in those areas (drugs, oil, avocados, etc.). Brazil is not too far behind in this regard, something like 50% of the favelas in Rio alone are run by criminal paramilitaries.

I think the article serves as a good overview to outsiders why Argentina and its policy is so perplexing - which we all know the ingrained corruption of the state which is shaped by a dominant and long standing political movement. The article doesn’t do much to argue a counter solution only highlight the undeniable problem.

I would also tread carefully about implying narco related organized crime isn’t already prevalent in Argentina under this non-neoliberal system - just take a look at the villas of Santa Fe or visit some restaurants in Rosario with metal (gun) detectors at the door.

Last edited:
This is simply Neoliberalism - Milton Friedman economics 101. I didn't need to read the article to know what it was going to say since the author works for a think tank funded by Exxon Mobile, Phillip Morris, and the Koch brothers. Advocates of this approach have basically been making the same argument since the late 60s, and in that time there hasn't been one example of it ever working.

For example, Mexico took this approach all the way in the 90s. The state stepped aside, so much so that in less than a decade much of the country was governed by organized crime who control almost every part of the economy in those areas (drugs, oil, avocados, etc.). Brazil is not too far behind in this regard, something like 50% of the favelas in Rio alone are run by criminal paramilitaries.
I think it is a bit strange that you even comment on an article that you haven’t even read. What’s the point?

Lets hope she publishes one day an article in Pagina 12, so you can have a look at it and we can have a discussion.

I think it is a bit strange that you even comment on an article that you haven’t even read. What’s the point?

Lets hope she publishes one day an article in Pagina 12, so you can have a look at it and we can have a discussion.

Since you're going to make this personal, you should know that I also regularly consult the Financial Times and the Harvard Business Review.

Back