Argentina Versus Colombia to Retire

Bogota on 3k/mo will be tight if you want medium-high comfort levels. It's doable, but rent alone will eat likely eat half of this assuming you want to live in the rich bubble. BA I think my avg spend is like $1500-1600/mo and that's to include a nice apt in a top area, chef cooking all my food, dates / going out, etc. It's actually difficult to spend money here.

Also, the note on bringing a colombiana to Buenos Aires is awful advice. Will not elaborate much beyond latinos from other countries seem to have a tendency to adapt to the local argentine ways and change once they land in EZE. It's weird but I've seen it time and time again.
+1 on the bringing the Colombian to BA. That is just insane to throw a major international move into the mix of your relationship. If she's from a good social class, she won't do it. If she's from a low social class, you are going to be paying for other family members or at a minimum all kinds of trips and gifts. Just don't go there.

I've gotten permanent residency in a few countries. Some I did myself and most I hired an immigration attorney. My advice on that is go with someone that has been doing it a long long time. They will know the ins and outs. Typically you want to go with someone that you get a personal vouch or recommendation or that has a ton of good reviews online. I know there are a lot of immigration attorneys in Buenos Aires but go with one that has been around a long time. Don't always go just for the cheapest.

In Argentina I got my DNI and then they renewed it 3 times and then I got my permanent residency. I don't think you have to be in a rush. But you're definitely doing it the right way. Lots of ex-pats just live in the country and never get residency. Just keep in mind in Argentina you need a DNI to open up bank account, etc. so it's helpful. If you bring a Colombia she won't have any issues at all with staying in Argentina. But they can do the process as well. It's easier for them.

On cost of living that's going to depend on the country. I'm still living with the kids in the USA so it's wicked expensive. It's insanely expensive as I live in California and the kids are in a lot of competitive sports so just on tennis lessons per kid it's like $250 dollars per week per kid. Then add in all the other stuff, clothes, food, etc. and let's just say it's much more expensive what I'm spending per kid then you're entire retirement budget. It's ugly but hope to move permanently to Buenos Aires soon.
Oof that's a lot for kid stuff. The US has gotten crazy expensive for everything. I would definitely stay down in SA with the kid(s). I have heard that good private schools can be expensive in developing countries, but home schooling could be an option since I wouldn't be working.

I haven't been to Argentina in a little while, but I'm pretty sure you can find flights there for much less than 2.2k. Did you fly first/business class? It would just be me flying. So, you amortize that over a year and shouldn't be a big a hit to the budget.

+1 on the bringing the Colombian to BA. That is just insane to throw a major international move into the mix of your relationship. If she's from a good social class, she won't do it. If she's from a low social class, you are going to be paying for other family members or at a minimum all kinds of trips and gifts. Just don't go there.
No I'm not saying you do this out of the gate. I'm saying long-term eventually if things work out after establishing "she is the one". I completely disagree with you that "if she is from a good social class, she won't do it". That's just wrong from my experience. My then girlfriend was college educated with a Business Degree and she moved out. Most of her other friends have also moved out of Colombia to other places including mostly USA.

Yes, true that it can add up bringing their family down. I didn't have to do that but I wanted to as family was very important to her. But she could have managed if we kept them there. I didn't do that until we started having kids and for the kids to be close with the grandparents. Plus, after the first year they all got jobs and off the payroll. It was the best decision I could have made bringing her to live in Buenos Aires. And her family all got permanent residency in Argentina. They almost never go back to Colombia. They love Argentina.

I think most level headed educated girls would agree that Colombia isn't that desirable of a place to live. Danger and safety issues, traffic, lack of things to do, etc. Once they experience life out of Colombia it's not difficult to get them to live a better life somewhere else.

All college educated, smart and beautiful girls. People do love their country but the ones I've met are more than happy to leave for greener (and more beautiful pastures). I have experienced what you're saying with girls from Brazil. They love their country and lifestyle. The girls from Rio that I met really love the beach vibe and lifestyle there. Honestly, most cities in Colombia aren't that desirable culturally wise.

Last edited:
Oof that's a lot for kid stuff. The US has gotten crazy expensive for everything. I would definitely stay down in SA with the kid(s). I have heard that good private schools can be expensive in developing countries, but home schooling could be an option since I wouldn't be working.

I haven't been to Argentina in a little while, but I'm pretty sure you can find flights there for much less than 2.2k. Did you fly first/business class? It would just be me flying. So, you amortize that over a year and shouldn't be a big a hit to the budget.
Yeah the USA is NOT cheap. For raising kids it was great as my kids were born in Argentina so they have passports but I didn't want to raise them there. Raising them in the USA was perfect (but expensive) but once they are out of high school I'm back to Argentina.

Flights after COVID just got expensive. Yeah, it's less than $2,000 usually but they will have massive price increases sometimes during busy times. They cut back # of flights so they are always full. Aerolineas Argentina has a sale for NYC and Miami but I'm on West Coast USA and flights here are always more expensive. No it was for economy. Since COVID flights have mostly been around $1,500 or so round-trip. I'm not sure which city you're in. Less if you're on East Coast.

Also, I'm not claiming to be the authoritative expert on this matter. Far from it. But I'm just telling you about my real life experiences. I'm not sure if others have brought their Colombian girlfriend or wife to Argentina. If so, I'm welcome to hear about their real life experiences. I've done it and it was the best decision I could have made. No way I'd want to live in Colombia long term for all the reasons I mentioned.

Last edited:
If we're talking wife material, and this isn't just Argentina vs Colombia anymore, because you brought the USA into it, then I think the women of Mexico deserve at the very least an honorable mention.

Let's not forget that, as the years go by, a woman's good looks will fade quite a bit, but her cooking will only get better and better.

If we're talking wife material, and this isn't just Argentina vs Colombia anymore, because you brought the USA into it, then I think the women of Mexico deserve at the very least an honorable mention.

Let's not forget that, as the years go by, a woman's good looks will fade quite a bit, but her cooking will only get better and better.
Sure, since we brought wife material into the mix I think all countries are worth discussing. I've been all over Mexico and dated a lot of girls there too. I have permanent residency in Mexico too. Mexico is by far the easiest country to get permanent residency in. I did it myself without a lawyer. It was very easy.

You start the process in the Mexican consulate office in your nearest USA city (I did mine in Santa Ana in Orange County, California). You have to either have a bank statement showing $210,000 US for the past 12 months in a row. Or show income via pension or can be rentals via real estate of $5,186 US dollars per month.

Then you go to Mexico to finish the process. Was really easy. I did it 5 years ago and I can get my Mexican passport now if I wanted. I was amazed how simple it was. They have this email system that keeps you informed of every step of the process. Once I went to give them the application it only took 2 weeks. I couldn't believe it! (This outlines the process if you're interested - https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sandie...s/g_7a_Permanent_Resident_Visa_Retirement.pdf

The down thing is Mexico has gotten really expensive. I own a few properties there and it's expensive now as the Mexican peso has shifted and gotten really strong so the US$ doesn't go that far there now. All my rentals are in USD and expenses are in pesos. That worked when it was 21 pesos to $1US but it's about 17 :1 now.

Mexican girls are ok. Guadalajara has the most beautiful girls in Mexico, IMHO. The best thing about Mexico is the food. By far the best country in Latin American for food in my opinion.

Bogota on 3k/mo will be tight if you want medium-high comfort levels. It's doable, but rent alone will eat likely eat half of this assuming you want to live in the rich bubble. BA I think my avg spend is like $1500-1600/mo and that's to include a nice apt in a top area, chef cooking all my food, dates / going out, etc. It's actually difficult to spend money here.

Also, the note on bringing a colombiana to Buenos Aires is awful advice. Will not elaborate much beyond latinos from other countries seem to have a tendency to adapt to the local argentine ways and change once they land in EZE. It's weird but I've seen it time and time again.
Yea anything with rent of ~1,500 is out for me.

I'm shooting for like 5-600 in my budget. Maybe it will wind up being a little more, but that is my goal. If I moved to Colombia that would probably mean then to either live outside of the rich areas of Bogata or live in another city.

I don't dispute it, but I'm surprised to hear that Colombia is so much more expensive. My understanding is that it's a poorer country overall. I guess with the devalued peso everything is just dirt cheap in Argentina...

It is amazing the goofy info on this thread. L.A. or D.C to Buenos Aires is $375 one way...It could not be any cheaper. $3000 a month? Rocoleta or Parque 93.....no problem. Argentine people are KNOWN to not be really friendly....Colombians are VERY friendly. Use THIS https://www.globalproductprices.com/Colombia/apple_prices/ to compare prices of most countries and remember that the Argentine prices are at the official peso. (I left Buenos Aires 6 months ago....I am in Colombia right now.....I leave for San Jose C.R. in 2 weeks)

It is amazing the goofy info on this thread. L.A. or D.C to Buenos Aires is $375 one way...It could not be any cheaper. $3000 a month? Rocoleta or Parque 93.....no problem. Argentine people are KNOWN to not be really friendly....Colombians are VERY friendly. Use THIS https://www.globalproductprices.com/Colombia/apple_prices/ to compare prices of most countries and remember that the Argentine prices are at the official peso. (I left Buenos Aires 6 months ago....I am in Colombia right now.....I leave for San Jose C.R. in 2 weeks)
It just depends on time of the year. Where do you see LA for. $375 per way? I'm looking at November to go down and all flights around $1,000 round trip and that's going on LATAM. We never have cheap flights from West Coast. If you can plan far ahead of time it's better but my last trip it was a few weeks out and was crazy expensive. But do a search from EZE to many west coast cities in December and you will easily see some $2,000 US round trip flights in coach.

I'm not sure when the OP is planning to come to the USA. Presumably around the holidays to visit family? It's always been crazy expensive when I've gone down around then. I usually always fly airlines from the USA and it's expensive.

I agree $3,000 a month is easily enough to live in Buenos Aires.You don't need to spend crazy amounts on rent. I do think $500 to $600 for a really nice place is going to be tough in Buenos Aires but outside of the city for sure you can do it.

Colombia IS a poor country but stuff there isn't as cheap as you think it would be. I find food to be expensive. Utilities are expensive compared to Buenos Aires. Electricity is expensive there. Argentina is cheap because of the crazy inflation if you have dollars you're golden.

Last edited:
It just depends on time of the year. Where do you see LA for. $375 per way? I'm looking at November to go down and all flights around $1,000 round trip and that's going on LATAM. We never have cheap flights from West Coast. If you can plan far ahead of time it's better but my last trip it was a few weeks out and was crazy expensive. But do a search from EZE to many west coast cities in December and you will easily see some $2,000 US round trip flights in coach.

I'm not sure when the OP is planning to come to the USA. Presumably around the holidays to visit family? It's always been crazy expensive when I've gone down around then. I usually always fly airlines from the USA and it's expensive.

I agree $3,000 a month is easily enough to live in Buenos Aires.You don't need to spend crazy amounts on rent. I do think $500 to $600 for a really nice place is going to be tough in Buenos Aires but outside of the city for sure you can do it.

Colombia IS a poor country but stuff there isn't as cheap as you think it would be. I find food to be expensive. Utilities are expensive compared to Buenos Aires. Electricity is expensive there. Argentina is cheap because of the crazy inflation if you have dollars you're golden.
I'm ok with a pretty basic place.

Back