Argentina Versus Colombia to Retire

I'm ok with a pretty basic place.
Just be aware of the rental situation in Buenos Aires right now. They are almost at a state of 0 supply. Crazy for a city of 3 million people, there are only 700 properties on the market for a conventional rental right now. Everyone and their brother will be raising rates and pushing listings to Airbnb.

Just be aware of the rental situation in Buenos Aires right now. They are almost at a state of 0 supply. Crazy for a city of 3 million people, there are only 700 properties on the market for a conventional rental right now. Everyone and their brother will be raising rates and pushing listings to Airbnb.

Yea, that's crazy. Maybe it will bring down the cost of Airbnbs, haha

I agree that this is a very bad time to move to Argentina.
Just when so many people seem to have gotten the impression that it's the ideal new home.

Puta vida

Yea, that's crazy. Maybe it will bring down the cost of Airbnbs, haha
Yeah actually many owners are trying their hand at Airbnb. The local laws are crazy forcing owners to lock up rentals for 3 YEARS in pesos so many are just sitting empty vs. renting them out. You're right this should bring Airbnb prices lower and lower as more people list.

I agree that this is a very bad time to move to Argentina.
Just when so many people seem to have gotten the impression that it's the ideal new home.

Puta vida
Actually if you have Dollars it's ok. True the locals are suffering but you're insulated to an extend just having dollars. Prices of things are going up in pesos but in relative terms (US dollars) things are much cheaper. My HOA fees in every other country keep going up and up and up. My HOA fees in Argentina are less now then they were 10 years ago.

It just depends on time of the year. Where do you see LA for. $375 per way? I'm looking at November to go down and all flights around $1,000 round trip and that's going on LATAM. We never have cheap flights from West Coast. If you can plan far ahead of time it's better but my last trip it was a few weeks out and was crazy expensive. But do a search from EZE to many west coast cities in December and you will easily see some $2,000 US round trip flights in coach.

I'm not sure when the OP is planning to come to the USA. Presumably around the holidays to visit family? It's always been crazy expensive when I've gone down around then. I usually always fly airlines from the USA and it's expensive.

I agree $3,000 a month is easily enough to live in Buenos Aires.You don't need to spend crazy amounts on rent. I do think $500 to $600 for a really nice place is going to be tough in Buenos Aires but outside of the city for sure you can do it.

Colombia IS a poor country but stuff there isn't as cheap as you think it would be. I find food to be expensive. Utilities are expensive compared to Buenos Aires. Electricity is expensive there. Argentina is cheap because of the crazy inflation if you have dollars you're golden.
1692458622083.png

I wish to address Barranquilla that was raised.

It is too hot for me. Very little high culture.

On the plus side- it’s a real working city and has a certain charm. Restaurants are pretty good. No tourists toots.

In Colombia, if you like heat, and don’t heat high culture, you could do a lot worse.

I wish to address Barranquilla that was raised.

It is too hot for me. Very little high culture.

On the plus side- it’s a real working city and has a certain charm. Restaurants are pretty good. No tourists toots.

In Colombia, if you like heat, and don’t heat high culture, you could do a lot worse.
When I was in Colombia I was talking to this guy in my hiking group and I asked him where in Colombia was the best place to live. He said Barranquilla and every time I hear the name I think about that guy.

I'm not a big fan of the heat though. I would much rather have the cold, even very cold with snow etc. than live in a very hot place. This is one of the reasons I've been reconsidering living in South East Asia as it's very hot there. I haven't completely ruled it out yet though. If you mostly stay in doors during the day and go out at night it's somewhat manageable, but still pretty crappy.

Thanks! This must be some new special temporary fare. I haven't seen flights this cheap in a long time. I'll try to book one now. Thanks for the head's up. That's a GREAT deal from West Coast. I often look at Google Flights but never have seen a good deal in a long time.

When I was in Colombia I was talking to this guy in my hiking group and I asked him where in Colombia was the best place to live. He said Barranquilla and every time I hear the name I think about that guy.

I'm not a big fan of the heat though. I would much rather have the cold, even very cold with snow etc. than live in a very hot place. This is one of the reasons I've been reconsidering living in South East Asia as it's very hot there. I haven't completely ruled it out yet though. If you mostly stay in doors during the day and go out at night it's somewhat manageable, but still pretty crappy.

Southeast Asia is awesome if you don't mind the heat for retiring and want to live an affordable life. I don't like high heat and humidity either. And I was never into Asian women. So that ruled it out for me. If it wasn't so hot I'd think about moving there with my wife for part of the year. It's dirt cheap and the food is amazing. I'm still blown away how good and cheap the food is in Bangkok. Such warm and friendly people. But no way I could deal with that heat and humidity.

I'm going to Bali in a few months as I heard it's nice there and also very affordable.

Last edited:
Back