Argentinas Coca Cola addiction

At home is one thing, but in a restaurant I don't want to have to pay for water, so if I am going to pay a ridiculous price for a drink it might as well be some soda. Although I am a pepsi drinker.

Sparkling water is an option, more of a drink than still water.

chris said:
Sparkling water is an option, more of a drink than still water.

Makes it sound like it gives the water magic fairy properties. ;)

I like how the Dutch ask if you would like your drink 'with gas', or 'without gas'.
I wasn't quite sure how to take that the first time I heard it (well, without gas preferably, but I would still like it fizzy - can you do that?)

But to bring it back to topic - I noticed this cola addiction as well within the first couple of weeks of arriving. But oh dear, it has brought out my addictive tendencies, much to my shame.

I understand that water is the same price as coke and dearer in may cases but I do not care I rather not have cancer thank you. Parents here feed coke to their children like water and this is a shame and the main reason for the obesity prevalent in the young . There is a huge correlation between coke and obesity if you look at the graphs of consumption per capita .

In Argentina it seems that all healthier foods are way dearer than junk foods creating this environment of bad food choices. I do not understand why nuts , dried fruits , organic meats are so expensive when they are all local products. Almonds are around 120 pesos a kilo now a ridicolous price since they are sourced from Mendoza province.

This may help to answer some peoples questions:

Coca cola concentrate is manufactured EXCLUSIVELY in the United States, it's then sold and shipped to bottlers around the world who add a sweetener and carbonated water to produce and bottle the final product. Some countries add high fructose corn syrup and others sugar/sugar syrup.

That may explain why it's so expensive here, the main ingredient (concentrate) is imported and as we all know ANYTHING imported into Argentina is loaded with import taxes.

When I started selling Coca-Cola products in my shop I was invited by the saleswoman to their offices to see a video and be introduced to their product line and get a history of the product.

I personally find Coca Cola gross, I have never liked it or any sweetened carbonated drinks. What I don't understand is why iced tea is not more popular here? I was told back in the days of 1:1 with the dollar they used to sell Lipton Iced Tea in cans and Snapple, but they have disappeared. I think one of these companies should try to re-market the flavored Iced Teas here (nationally produced of course) and they would be succesful.

This is no excuse but the truth is if soda doesn't give us cancer something else will.

I am both appalled and fascinated by the fact that the 3-liter Coke bottle is still available in Argentina. That concept went the way of Crystal Pepsi back in the States (ie, fracaso total) -- not even Americans could stomach that much soda in one sitting. But I guess the Argentines have got it covered! ;)

starlucia said:
I am both appalled and fascinated by the fact that the 3-liter Coke bottle is still available in Argentina. That concept went the way of Crystal Pepsi back in the States (ie, fracaso total) -- not even Americans could stomach that much soda in one sitting. But I guess the Argentines have got it covered! ;)

Ha ha.......I am also fascinated that people would pay the price for it, I saw a sign for it on special "$16,50"!!

perry said:
I understand that water is the same price as coke and dearer in may cases but I do not care I rather not have cancer thank you.

I think I'd be more concerned about the disgusting pollution in Buenos Aires giving me cancer than a bottle of Coke.

But as I said earlier, everything causes cancer. You might die tomorrow, so enjoy life while it lasts. Drink happiness. :rolleyes:

Back