Argentinas loss makes us introspective

ktraceysf said:
fifs2- I must disagree.
I don't know where your child was born in the US, but mine(born is SF, CA) has been attending an Argentine public school for the past 4 months. He is in the 2nd grade. I have to say based on the playdates with fellow schoolmates, my son is by far much more well traveled, has seen more of Argentina than his friends in his short time here, he has been exposed to many more cultures than his peers, and is more aware to art, music and language than his playmates in his public school.
So while I don't want this to be a pissing match- honestly, I fiercely disagree.
The one thing I can say is that my son probably has more patriotism towards Argentina. He can recite all the anthems-sing all the songs. When I ask him what is the American 'pledge of allegiance'. he has no idea of what I am talking about.
But with regard to culture, musuems and overall worldly expiriences, I don't think you can discount the US. Of course, this is my personal experience.
-k
http://jackfamilyinba.wordpress.com/

This sounds like a valid argument for my own son's class too. It may be a generational thing..since before 2001 most middle class Argentineans did travel and do so with a fierce hunger, I simply wanted to defend Pericles and the Argentineans of my age group who are outstandingly well educated and cultured and who do not crave Europe as an idolic culture but who bring the best of it to represent the the mixed bag that is Argentina today.
Of course I wouldn't imagine that middle America is representative of the coasts where culture abounds, east at least, but since Alex was being so damning of Argentina my ownpassionate response didnt make time to make allowances for the very best of US we know to exist!

I guess my words hit close to home. By trying to make this personal and questioning my personal sex life you only show your own low class ignorance. Your generation is what's wrong with this country.

I only hope future generations will learn from your ignorance, racism, and closed mindedness.

The world and this country are changing. Either you learn to adapt and leave your third world colonial mentality behind or you will simply get left behind.

I find that schools in Argentina teach children to memorize facts and information without analyzing or questioning them, while schools in the US teach children to think, question and research. Two entirely different approaches.

This holds true for college as well. I've attended Argentine and US universities, and there's a world of difference between them.

AlexfromLA said:
You might want to start with a little more accuracy. This is a country of immigrants.

Argentinian isn't a race. It's a nationality. Initially a mixture of immigrants from southern Europe mostly, intermingled with the local South American blood.

Since that time, more immigrants have come from Middle eastern countries, Eastern and Western European nations and other South and North American nations. They are ALL Argentinian as long as they are born and bred here.

All Argentinians are immigrants, except those you look down upon the most, those being of native Argentinian and South American blood. The ones you call " negros " or " paraguas " or " bolitas ".

It takes a really weak an insecure culture to feel the need to think itself better than the next just because you think yourself more European. Well you're not better. And since you aren't a born and bred European, you're not that either. And thinking yourself so only makes you less.

If this soccer loss is what gives you pause to think on that stupidity. So be it.

Your insults really don't bother me Alex. In the genuine interest of learning I would like to know where you have found a culture that isn't so insecure that it looks to others for fortification. I have lived everywhere from Yemen to Uk and have yet to find it but yu may have found different. FYI, you sound so angry about Argentina. Why do you stay?

FYI. You can continue to make this personal all you want, in case you didn't notice, I don't have to explain myself to you. Now, If my observations made YOU angry. That sounds like a personal problem. And you should handle that.

Maybe by leaving Argentina ? Or the forum ?

AlexfromLA said:
I guess my words hit close to home. By trying to make this personal and questioning my personal sex life you only show your own low class ignorance. Your generation is what's wrong with this country.

I only hope future generations will learn from your ignorance, racism, and closed mindedness.

The world and this country are changing. Either you learn to adapt and leave your third world colonial mentality behind or you will simply get left behind.

Your posts are rascist and grossly unfair to the Argentinian people . It is ironic that you have implied in your posts Alex that Argentinians are rascist when your own posts show rascism and ignorance about the Argentinian people . A case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Sure we have faults but what race or country does not . In regards to your assumption that Argentina is a country of immigrants implies that the original inhabitants were non existent. There were aborigine tribes throughout Patagonia and Indian societies in the North of Argentina. Most of the aborigine tribes of Patagonia were massacred by the new settlers. The largest tribe was the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehuelche_people
and thats where the name Patagonia comes from meaning big foot as they had very large feet and were tall compared to the early settlers.

For your information 56% of Argentinians have ameridinian blood or bluntly indian blood from the original inhabitants of this great land. Argentina is not a new land that was suddenly just discovered by white europeans. The indian races are the original inhabitants of this country and their descendants who mixed with the spanish and other settlers make up the majority of the population. Now they may claim that they are european in the main but the truth is that this is another myth perpetuated by a small minority in Buenos Aires.
http://portal.redargentina.com/foros/el-56-de-loa-argentinos-tiene-ancestros-indigenas?page=4

Sure there is rascism here as there is in every country in the world and as always it is the more whiter and ignorant who are more rascist . This Alex is a small part of the population.

Argentina is the most welcoming country of South America for all nationalities hardly the public policy is not rascist and while there are comments made that are politically incorrect there is no deep seated rascism prevalent as in many societies in the world .

I believe that Argentinians are misunderstood due to their frankness and their lack of restraint when making opinions . This does not translate into deep feelings and the chances of rascist attacks are very very rare.

These are my two cents worth thank you.

fifs2 said:
Your insults really don't bother me Alex. In the genuine interest of learning I would like to know where you have found a culture that isn't so insecure that it looks to others for fortification. I have lived everywhere from Yemen to Uk and have yet to find it but yu may have found different. FYI, you sound so angry about Argentina. Why do you stay?

Alex, I grew up in NI amidst the bombings..I was genuinely offering an olive branch and a desire to know more about your experiences since our opinions are typically based upon such. Good luck...I'll be staying as long as this dear country allows me.

Argentines are not racist at all. They may have other faults, but that is not one of them.

Actually if you reread my initial comment. I did make mention of the Native South Americans ie " The Local South American Blood ".

Maybe you should read what I wrote before commenting on it.

I am also aware of how these people are treating in Argentinian society. They are treated very badly. And actually a study by the UBA found that the percentage is closer to about 75 % and not 56 %. But I doubt you will find many Argentinians who will admit to that. They are all " cultured Europeans " according to them.

I am disgusted by the racism that I have seen in this country, but I am also aware that there are many good people here who aren't like that.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

pericles said:
Your posts are rascist and grossly unfair to the Argentinian people . Sure we have faults but what race or country does not . In regards to your assumption that Argentina is a country of immigrants implies that the original inhabitants were non existent. There were aborigine tribes through Patagonia and Indian societies in the North of Argentina. Most of the aborigine tribes of Patagonia were massacred by the new settlers. The largest tribe was the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehuelche_people
and thats where the name Patagonia comes from meaning big foot as they had very large feet and were tall compared to the early settlers.

For your information 56% of Argentinians have ameridinian blood or bluntly indian blood from the original inhabitants of this great land.
http://portal.redargentina.com/foros/el-56-de-loa-argentinos-tiene-ancestros-indigenas?page=4

Sure there is rascism here as there is in every country in the world and as always it is the more whiter and ignorant who are more rascist . This as you must be aware Alex is a small part of the population.

Argentina is the most welcoming country of South America for all nationalities hardly the public policy is not rascist and while there are comments made that are politically incorrect there is no deep seated rascism prevalent in many societies in the world .

I believe that Argentinians are misunderstood due to their frankness and their lack of restraint when making opinions . This does not translate into deep feelings and the chances of rascist attacks are very very rare.

These are my two cents worth thank you.

There is always a glass ceiling in all societies as we are conditioned by our media to accept that white and european is the best and cleanest . We are bombarded with images that condition us to behave in certain ways and judge others accordingly . Unfortunately this is what causes others to judge others and accept negative stereotypes as the norm.

In the USA you have over 2 million people in jails and most of them are african americans . Why is that Alex ?

Back