Argentina's Soaring Birth Defect Rate, Gmo, And Monsanto

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Not long ago Argentina topped the world in meat production. No more. Now, soy is king and the label inside the crown says "Monsanto."

I ran across the article/documentary Argentina's Bad Seeds (yes, I know its on Aljazeera). The producers assert that with the boom of the soy price millions of hectares of land are being converted to produce the plant. With the CFK government's 30% commission on every dollar produced by soy and along with it their public blessing and outright support, Monsanto's GMO (genetically modified organism) seeds are taking over Argentina. Along with the seeds comes Roundup pesticide. Along with Roundup comes an alarming increase in birth defects, not to mention a dying land soaked in weed and insect killer.

The article has an embedded video. Or, you can watch it directly on YouTube People & Power - Argentina. I recommend you first read the article, then watch the video. Prepare yourself for some serious CFK party-line comments. Keep a pail nearby in case you need to vomit.

For even more understanding of Monsanto, GMO, Roundup, and the food production industry I recommend that you watch the documentary Food, Inc. This link will take you to the official trailer. You can get this film on iTunes and probably Netflix. Some of the more shocking points for me were how Monsanto Sr. Executives continually end up in high-ranking positions in the FDA, and vice-versa, and how Monsanto actually got a patent on their seeds (an organism) and have successfully litigated thousands of small farmers off of their land - and continue to do so - because those patented seeds made their way from fields where purchased Monsanto seeds were sown over to an adjacent field where that farmer used only his own saved seeds.

Makes one proud to be an American.

My wife and I watched Food, Inc two years ago and it literally changed how we view, purchase, and consume food. Some documentaries use scare tactics. I found this one to be very informative and positive on what the average consumer can do.

Have a nice day.

GS

Teller ain't mute!

So you agree that Penn is a loud mouth? :)

I know Teller is not really mute. But in their act he is. That's the point. They are entertainers. They have an act. Personally, I wouldn't cite them when attempting to prove a point (or a counter point in this case) any more than I would ask Sean Penn to resolve the Malvinas/Falklands spat.

Ha ha, maybe Capusotto has some ideas on how to control inflation.

Well, coming from a country that used
A link to Penn and Teller doesn't even deserve that.

Whatever.
Coming from a country that as early as the 1980s was on the brink of mass famine, I developed a significant appreciation for the "evil food industry capitalists" who are now able to provide relatively inexpensive food for most of the world's 8 billion people.
GS_Dirtboy, ask your wife if she remembers that the terrible droughts that afflicted the Brazilian North-East during the early 80s and the tragic mass hungers and human flight that it provoked back then. They Brazilian North-East TODAY is experiencing a much more severe drought that the one in the 1980s. But unlike then, today there is no hunger. No one is starving on the Brazilian North East today. We can thank Food Inc. for that.
Coming from a country that until very recently, mass starvation was a VERY REAL issue, I have a very different perspective (and priorities) than people who grew up on an environment in which they never had hungry people knocking at their doors in tears begging for food. Once you do, you start not caring too much about how hogs and chickens are treated.

So you agree that Penn is a loud mouth? :)

I know Teller is not really mute. But in their act he is. That's the point. They are entertainers. They have an act

Robert Kenner and Elise Pearlstein on the other hand are experts :rolleyes:

Well, coming from a country that used

Whatever.
Coming from a country that as early as the 1980s was on the brink of mass famine, I developed a significant appreciation for the "evil food industry capitalists" who are now able to provide relatively inexpensive food for most of the world's 8 billion people.
GS_Dirtboy, ask your wife if she remembers that the terrible droughts that afflicted the Brazilian North-East during the early 80s and the tragic mass hungers and human flight that it provoked back then. They Brazilian North-East TODAY is experiencing a much more severe drought that the one in the 1980s. But unlike then, today there is no hunger. No one is starving on the Brazilian North East today. We can thank Food Inc. for that.
Coming from a country that until very recently, mass starvation was a VERY REAL issue, I have a very different perspective (and priorities) than people who grew up on an environment in which they never had hungry people knocking at their doors in tears begging for food. Once you do, you start not caring too much about how hogs and chickens are treated.

I don't think you actually watched Food Inc. (the movie). All those things you mention above and worse are more than possible across the entire planet thanks to monopoly control, patents, and decreasing genetic diversity of food crops.

Back