argentine citizenship by naturalization

quote=steveinbsas;99273]Your DNI will also bear this date. Just as mine has the same date my residenca precaria was granted in a prior year.

FALSE. (dwight kurt schrute III) FACT. you can renew your residencia temporaria up to two months before the expiration date...therefore not one of my dates coincide with the renewal from before...does that make sense...i renewed my residencia temporaria three times over five years...sometimes i renewed two months before the expiration...the second renewal...just three weeks before the expiration...so the dates can and do change...at least in my case...

let me clarify that what i was granted was residencia temporaria...the papers from immigrations speak only of residencia temporaria...when you say resisdencia precaria...and i know many who use that term...it makes me wonder if were talking about the same thing...its like in thailand...same same but different...what i mean is that while they could be taken to mean the same thing...there may be some very specific differences...since i passed through decreto 1169 maybe through that decreto they call it residencia temporaria and through other routes...ive seen this theme of rentistas visa kicked around in here...maybe in that case they use residencia precaria...but i was granted residencia temporaria...

I'm sure those who followed the thread about foreigners seeking citizenship in Argentina would be interested in knowing how you actually applied for and received Argentine citizenship, especially since I don't think a single foreigner indicated they had applied for or received Argentine citizenship in that (lengthly and attorney dominated) thread. How does decreto 1169 grant citizenship "rights" to foreigners in Argentina? Is this the same decreto that allowed foreigners who were here prior to 2004 to apply for permanent residency?[/quote]

yes that is what decreto 1169/2004 did...as long as you had arrived prior to a particular date and could prove it by a stamp in your passport you were allowed to petition residencia temporaria...

1169 doesnt grant citizenship rights...it provides you a path to citizenship...providing you satisfy the requirements...

el kaliforniano... said:
let me clarify that what i was granted was residencia temporaria...the papers from immigrations speak only of residencia temporaria...when you say resisdencia precaria...and i know many who use that term...it makes me wonder if were talking about the same thing...its like in thailand...same same but different...what i mean is that while they could be taken to mean the same thing...there may be some very specific differences...since i passed through decreto 1169 maybe through that decreto they call it residencia temporaria and through other routes...ive seen this theme of rentistas visa kicked around in here...maybe in that case they use residencia precaria...but i was granted residencia temporaria...

I was granted residencia precaria while my application for temporary residency was under review for final approval. They are not the same thing, but once residencia temporaria was actually granted (a few weeks later in my case), the date of radicacion which was recorded in my DNI was the same date as the residencia precaria. The visa rentista is just one type of temporary residency.

So what's the problem with the date on your citizenship papers? You'll never have to renew your residencia temporaria again now that you are a citizen. The date of your new DNI Argentino could be the same as the date you were granted citizenship, but it might be the same date as your radicacion. Either way, there shouldn't be a problem.

gouchobob: Ditto what's the problem, better yet why did you get Argentine citizenship? What's the benefit versus residency?

well i just sort of followed the natural order of things with regards to the why of citizenship...its good to have options...

one benefit of citizenry as opposed to residency is that as a citizen you can apply for a passport should you so desire...

citygirl said:
I always find citizenship discussions interesting. I can't imagine ever getting a 2nd citizenship lightly given the legal and financial responsibilities it entails. What made you decide to go that route vs residency?

I wonder how many people would take out Argentine Citizenship if it really meant giving up a US, UK, AU.... Citizenship and passport?

Tangerine said:
I wonder how many people would take out Argentine Citizenship if it really meant giving up a US, UK, AU.... Citizenship and passport?

Argentina has an agreement with the following countries to recognize dual nationality: Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Italy, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Spain, Sweden and United States.

Source: http://www.justlanded.com/english/Ar...ts/Citizenship

And here's a list of the same countries from a member of the forum (posted in another thread):

Attorney in BA said:
Countries with which Argentina has a double nationality agreement:

• COLOMBIA
  • CHILE
  • ECUADOR
  • EL SALVADOR
  • SPAIN
  • HONDURAS
  • ITALY
  • NICARAGUA
  • NORWAY
  • PANAMA
  • SWEDEN
  • UNITED STATES*
With regards to the United States, the agreement only applies to US naturalized Argentines until (since?) 10/20/1981.

Lee said:
Clearly you want that second passport and there are benefits to having it.

It IS GOOD to have OPTIONS.

You will find that 99.99% of the "expats" here are not in the same mind frame as you are. But you are new here...you will discover that for yourself.

Lee, It looks like the OP has been here (perhaps off and on) for at least seven years and he had to be here in (or before) 2004 to be covered by decreto 1169 and receive residencia temporaria as a result. Though his initial post indicated that he was granted citizenship without having to deal with Argentine migraciones or the registro, he definitely had to deal with these institutions a number of times in the past.

el kaliforniano... said:
FALSE. (dwight kurt schrute III) FACT. you can renew your residencia temporaria up to two months before the expiration date...therefore not one of my dates coincide with the renewal from before...does that make sense...i renewed my residencia temporaria three times over five years...sometimes i renewed two months before the expiration...the second renewal...just three weeks before the expiration...so the dates can and do change...at least in my case...

The dates on which you renewed your temporary residency at migraciones and the date it was recorded in your DNI at the registro may have changed from year to year, but not the actual renewal deadline (which is the anniversary of the fecha de radicacion recorded in your DNI).

On the day that would be recorded in my DNI as my fecha de radicacion I recieved a paper that bore the inscription "Residencia Precaria" at the top. This is the paper I turned in when I was given my certificado de residencia three weeks later. I remember this because I made and saved a photocopy of the residencia precira. I used it to transfer funds as a resident into Argentina (to buy an apartment) the next week..

You may actually have been granted residency precaria when you submitted you papers at migraciones the very first time, but you would have given that paper back to migraciones when you actually received the certificado de residencia (categoria temporaria) to take to the registro to get your DNI (extranjero).

I am curious how many US citizens have really obtained Argentine citizenship

Although I am an Argentinian citizen, I was born enroute and had to apply for it! And my parents were not from here!
Maybe because of my length in the country it wasn't hard for me...that hard! all is relative. I 'd like to knoe any other cases!
Esteban

steve youre exhausting...you have spread false information in each and every one of your posts here thus far...stop misleading the readers...you are clearly no authority on this matter...

el kaliforniano... said:
steve youre exhausting...you have spread false information in each and every one of your posts here thus far...stop misleading the readers...you are clearly no authority on this matter...

If you are an authority on this matter then why don't you just enlighten us and tell us how you applied for and received Argentine citizenship? Your first post was somewhat unintelligible and seemed rather pointless as well as being vulgar (five f-bombs in one paragraph might be a new forum record).

It doesn't do anyone else any good to know when they have citizenship if they don't know how to get it. After that, I would like to know what falsehoods I have spread here. I'm always willing to admit when I am wrong, but there is nothing I've posted in this thread that I have any desire to amend.

Back