Argentine Citizenship for foreigners: Can it really be this easy?

Steve-

What's the latest?

Surely you're not a citizen quite yet, are you?

Just by coincidence I stopped by the juzgado federal yesterday to give them my cell phone number. The secretary said my application was still in the process of being approved and all I need to do is wait for her to call me regarding publishing the notice in the local newspaper. I did not ask when she thought that would happen. It really doesn't make any difference to me.

Without wishing to sound negative Steve, but why would you want Arg citizenship?
If there was a chance of losing your US citizen status (having obtained Arg citizenship), how would you feel about that?
What are the specific advantages going to be for you?
I'm simply curious at this juncture, particularly as I too am here for the long haul.

Being ARgentine, he can vote and help get rid of Kretina!

And regarding losing the US citizen status, I would not worry much about that. I have four different citizenships, among them Argentina, which is the only one of the four accepting dual citizenship. None of the four is US though, but the other 3 are of rich countries and I have never had any trouble.

Gringoboy said:
Without wishing to sound negative Steve, but why would you want Arg citizenship?
What are the specific advantages going to be for you?
I'm simply curious at this juncture, particularly as I too am here for the long haul.

I have more than one citizenship, and the advantage is it gives you options..

Once he has it, he can also leave and go live somewhere else for a fews years and then he can come back whenever he likes..

Apparently it must be said every few pages: The U.S. allows dual citizenship. There is ZERO risk of losing your U.S. citizenship by becoming an Argentine citizen as well.

Argentina recognizes dual citizenship... there's many Argentines that have Italian, Spanish, and German citizenship from their parents and grandparents. As long as you're not swearing to renounce all other citizenships, I wouldn't worry about it. And even if you do swear (in other words, LIE to your new nation), the US government doesn't recognize you giving up your citizenship unless you go to a US agent in a foreign country. And now, there's even a fee before you can renounce. :rolleyes: So not easy to do by accident.

That's not to say things won't ever change, but the trend is towards a more transient world with more countries recognizing dual citizenship. I wanted Spanish citizenship, but decided I didn't really want to lie to Spanish authorities to get it - I will always be an American first. ;)

I thought about getting Argentine citizenship, but two things hold me back. One is the tax obligations... right now Argentina is less overbearing than the US when it comes to taxing its citizens abroad, but that could change. I don't want to be in a situation where I'm having to pay taxes to two or three different countries. Secondly is the protection of being a US citizen. I realize that the chances of the Embassy coming to my aid in case of trouble are slim to none (and I'm not looking to get into any trouble), but it's still good to have. :p

And frankly, I just don't feel Argentine. I've been coming for the past 8 years and married an Argentino and any future children will be Argentinos, but I don't feel it. I have no grand loyalty or love for this country, so it seems more of a citizenship of convenience than actually wanting it. I do agree though, if you're planning on living here for the rest of your days, citizenship is the best path.

It's too bad that temporary or permanent residency is not easier to acquire for the rest of us that are more undecided! :)

To get a citizenship is not regarding nationalism, with all my respect, it is all about to be protected "under the flag" while you are in Argentina. That`s all, you have more rights in reality because they are aeasier to enforce. Regards

Bajo_cero,

Can you comment on how the procedure goes once documents have been submitted, fingerprints taken and the edict has been published in the newspaper? We are just curious as to what actually happens up until citizenship is officially granted. I know that you said there is a wait of about 7 months for all the reports to come in --- but then what?

A DNI with perm res, cuit etc does everything I need it to do.
Besides, as a Brit I have a certain antipathy about becoming an Argentine citizen.
No offence to Argentines, but it just wouldn't feel right.

Back