Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you would have to be physically present in the country for 730 consecutive days? No out of country vacations, family emergencies, etc.?

I can't speak for bajo_cero, but here's my interpretation, after applying some logic. I think what bajo_cero is saying is that the judge basically makes a judgement call, and has a lot of discretion in making this call. If you've spent a few weeks per year out of the country over two years, I'm sure that is okay. If you've spent only 30 days in the country over two years, that's probably very unlikely to be okay to demonstrate that you are "living" here. (Bajo_cero can correct me if my interpretation is wrong).

Foreigners and citizens have the same civil rights, among others, to travel. The requirement is to have your home here, and it is a matter of evidence.

Foreigners and citizens have the same civil rights, among others, to travel. The requirement is to have your home here, and it is a matter of evidence.

That makes sense, but it wasn't completely clear before.

Hope you got lucky

If I was writing a screenplay for a movie about foreigners living in Argentina and one of them was applying for citizenship, I would include a scene in which, on a Monday morning, the judge arrives a few minutes late for the interview with the applicant and apologizes for his tardiness, adding that he had been dancing tango into the wee small hours of the morning.

It would be at this point the applicant, much to the horror of his attorney, would blurt out, "Hope you got lucky."

After this repulsive revelation of disrespect if not gross ignorance of the Argentine culture, the application for Argentine citizenship would rapidly spiral downward. :rolleyes:

If I was writing a screenplay for a movie about foreigners living in Argentina and one of them was applying for citizenship, I would include a scene in which, on a Monday morning, the judge arrives a few minutes late for the interview with the applicant and apologizes for his tardiness, adding that he had been dancing tango into the wee small hours of the morning.

It would be at this point the applicant, much to the horror of his attorney, would blurt out, "Hope you got lucky."

After this repulsive revelation of disrespect if not gross ignorance of the Argentine culture, the application for Argentine citizenship would rapidly spiral downward. :rolleyes:
Except that the applicant would never have the Spanish fluency required for this exchange.

I don't recommend trying to become a citizen in a foreign country, unless you plan to stay there the rest of your life, and never plan to return to your country of origin. U.S. laws state that if you become a citizen in a foreign land, you are renouncing your U.S. citizenship (that's what they told me). I'm not sure about laws in other countries. I suggest going for permanent residency. In Argentina, this is a lengthy and headache inducing process, but if you persist it will happen within a year or two (or sooner, depending on your current circumstances, like finance, or weather or not you have a way to obtain certain paperwork), and you will not have to worry about loosing rights in your own country. All of that aside, I don't know if it is actually possible to get a citizenship in Argentina for those who were not born here, that's a question for immigration.

One more warning for U.S. citizens living in Argentina: I also read that U.S. laws say that if you wish to keep your U.S. citizenship while living abroad you may not work for any other government (like federal, police, or military jobs). Other than those few things, the only way you can loose citizenship in the U.S. is if you willing renounce it.

~All of These are just my suggestions and advice, based on what I've been through so far in Buenos Aires. When in doubt, it's advisable to speak to immigration, or a local lawyer (most of them in the capital and popular tourist areas can and will speak english). ARCA is a company here that helps foreigners with paperwork and legalities, they speak english and I think they are local to Argentina, although they also have a U.S. number.
Here is their website: http://www.argentinaresidency.com/services/argentina-residency-visas.htm
Hope I could be of some help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back