Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was writing a screenplay for a movie about foreigners living in Argentina and one of them was applying for citizenship, I would include a scene in which, on a Monday morning, the judge arrives a few minutes late for the interview with the applicant and apologizes for his tardiness, adding that he had been dancing tango into the wee small hours of the morning.

It would be at this point the applicant, much to the horror of his attorney, would blurt out, "Hope you got lucky."

After this repulsive revelation of disrespect if not gross ignorance of the Argentine culture, the application for Argentine citizenship would rapidly spiral downward. :rolleyes:
You are the one writing the screen play. I on the other hand am speaking to an avatar. Not a person or judge or a friggin dog. If I remember correctly you are the politically correct hypocrit that pitches out the "pussy" word with some frequency. [read my signature]

You are the one writing the screen play. I on the other hand am speaking to an avatar. Not a person or judge or a friggin dog. If I remember correctly you are the politically correct hypocrit that pitches out the "pussy" word with some frequency. [read my signature]
Holy cow! Where did that come from?

If I was writing a screenplay for a movie about foreigners living in Argentina and one of them was applying for citizenship, I would include a scene in which, on a Monday morning, the judge arrives a few minutes late for the interview with the applicant and apologizes for his tardiness, adding that he had been dancing tango into the wee small hours of the morning.

It would be at this point the applicant, much to the horror of his attorney, would blurt out, "Hope you got lucky."

After this repulsive revelation of disrespect if not gross ignorance of the Argentine culture, the application for Argentine citizenship would rapidly spiral downward. :rolleyes:
Here

There is no luck at Milonga. Women wait until they see you dancing before even considering to accept to dance with you.

But after some years, this is not an issue.

I was waiting for a nice tanda.

Músic is organized by orchesta in tandas (groups) of 4 songs. Then the músic finishes, everybody sit down (men and women separated) and they play another orchesta or kind of músic (normally it is 2 tandas of tango, 1 of vals, 2 of tango and so on).

I don't recommend trying to become a citizen in a foreign country, unless you plan to stay there the rest of your life, and never plan to return to your country of origin. U.S. laws state that if you become a citizen in a foreign land, you are renouncing your U.S. citizenship (that's what they told me). I'm not sure about laws in other countries. I suggest going for permanent residency. In Argentina, this is a lengthy and headache inducing process, but if you persist it will happen within a year or two (or sooner, depending on your current circumstances, like finance, or weather or not you have a way to obtain certain paperwork), and you will not have to worry about loosing rights in your own country. All of that aside, I don't know if it is actually possible to get a citizenship in Argentina for those who were not born here, that's a question for immigration.

One more warning for U.S. citizens living in Argentina: I also read that U.S. laws say that if you wish to keep your U.S. citizenship while living abroad you may not work for any other government (like federal, police, or military jobs). Other than those few things, the only way you can loose citizenship in the U.S. is if you willing renounce it.

~All of These are just my suggestions and advice, based on what I've been through so far in Buenos Aires. When in doubt, it's advisable to speak to immigration, or a local lawyer (most of them in the capital and popular tourist areas can and will speak english). ARCA is a company here that helps foreigners with paperwork and legalities, they speak english and I think they are local to Argentina, although they also have a U.S. number.
Here is their website: http://www.argentina...dency-visas.htm
Hope I could be of some help. :)

Wikipedia always requires a certain level of skepticism, but "A U.S. citizen may lose his dual citizenship by obtaining naturalization in a foreign state, taking an oath or making an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or political subdivision thereof, or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state, but only if it was performed with the intention of renouncing U.S. citizenship.[sup][28][/sup]"

Osprey87,

The info you provided is wrong. The US accepts dual citizenship.

Bajo is correct, but there are limitations. Without a reference at hand, I recall a capital case in Texas (where else?) in which the Mexican embassy tried to intercede for one of its nationals, but could not do so because the individual had also acquired US nationality. For purposes of US law, his nationalized citizenship superseded his birth citizenship.

Bajo is correct, but there are limitations. Without a reference at hand, I recall a capital case in Texas (where else?) in which the Mexican embassy tried to intercede for one of its nationals, but could not do so because the individual had also acquired US nationality. For purposes of US law, his nationalized citizenship superseded his birth citizenship.
If you're referring to Medellin v. Texas, dual nationality didn't play a role. Even if it did, that scenario would be the opposite of what Osprey was arguing here (that the US would revoke the American citizenship of a foreign national). http://en.wikipedia....dellín_v._Texas

Here is a missunderstanding.
Dual citizenship means that those countries don t care about the second citizenship BUT, when this person is in its territory he can only be his citizen.

In Argentina you are Argentine while in the US you are American. But in any other country you decide which citizenship you use.

If you're referring to Medellin v. Texas, dual nationality didn't play a role. Even if it did, that scenario would be the opposite of what Osprey was arguing here (that the US would revoke the American citizenship of a foreign national). http://en.wikipedia....dellín_v._Texas

No, the issue would be that, in such a case, the US would not acknowledge the dual citizenship (as Bajo suggests). Mexico would have no standing to intercede in the case of a US citizen even if that person were also a Mexican citizen. If he were Mexican only, Mexico could provide assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back