Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attorney in BA said:
What law is this? Do you have the number? This does not seem to be the text of the current citizenship law.

Answering for Gunt : This is the project of the law 25.871 or the project of the last decreto (616-2010) but if I recall it's the first explanation.
I'll try to find it again but it's an interesting document since it's motivated and the legislator's intent clearly appears in favor of changing the law 346 (the one that is +100 years old).

steveinbsas said:
In the past two days there have been several posts about the possibility of applying for citizenship in Argentina as an alternative to applying for temporary or permanent residency. I have been a member of this forum for four years and don't recall anyone posting that they had actually applied for or received Argentine citizenship.

I do remember that one of the attorneys wrote that citizenship required two years of permanent residency, but that's all. A post in the past day or two made reference to a constitutional provision that anyone who has lived in Argentina for two years may apply for citizenship, regardless of their status with Argentine migraciones.

The constitution has already been quoted. Now I'd like to know if anyone out there has applied for Argentine citizenship. What was required? What was the procedure? What was the result? I am not asking the lawyers and I am not asking about those who applied as the spouse or parent of an Argentine, just those who applied as a foreigner living in Argentina. I'm sure many others would like to know about your personal experience with the process.

Having read through all this dross, I guess that the answer is NO

tangobob said:

Well then, I guess I´ll just have to go first.

I called the number in Bahia Blanca provided by Baja_Cero and was referred to a second number. I was told to come in and they would start the process even though I won´t have two consecutive years without leaving the country until mid October.

gunt86 said:
I will give you one little example of intent - joining a foreign military.

Back in the early '90s an American colonel decided to take the job of Estonian defence chief. A furious State Department revoked both his US citizenship and army pension but Congress reinstated both.

Not sure if you've thought about a couple of hassles that can come up with having an Argentine passport....

1. You are required to vote in every election, or you must show proof that you were more than a certain distance from your home when the elections were held - or pay a nominal fine.

2. You can be barred from leaving the country if you owe money for a judgement against you, meaning that till you pay up you have to remain in Argentina.

Just in case you hadn't thought of these both minor and potentially major issues.

bigbadwolf said:
Back in the early '90s an American colonel decided to take the job of Estonian defence chief. A furious State Department revoked both his US citizenship and army pension but Congress reinstated both.

I have no intention of joining the military here or renouncing my US citizenship. I have no plans to return to the US to live. In a couple more years I think it´s likely that individual rights will be more respected in Argentina than the US...if they aren´t already.

Even if the Republicans win back both the House and Senate in November they won´t be able to undo the damage that´s already been done...as the current President will have the power to veto any legislation they pass, including restoring my citizenship (which probably will be revolked by executive order if he ever reads my posts about him here.):cool:

steveinbsas said:
I have no intention of joining the military here or renouncing my US citizenship. I have no plans to return to the US to live. In a couple more years I think it´s likely that individual rights will be more respected in Argentina than the US...if they aren´t already.

Even if the Republicans win back both the House and Senate in November they won´t be able to undo the damage that´s already been done...as the current President will have the power to veto any legislation they pass, including restoring my citizenship (which probably will be revolked by executive order if he ever reads my posts about
him here.)

Let's not add more junk about losing US citizenship.You know very well you can say what you want about the POTUS without having your citizenship revoked. ;)

mini said:
Let's not add more junk about losing US citizenship.You know very well you can say what you want about the POTUS without having your citizenship revoked. ;)

Sorry, mini, I guess I was just being a gunt.:eek:

tangobob said:

I think your answer is correct. Why would anybody want Argentine citizenship if you already have it from the U.S., Canada, or Europe? I'm sure there are people who feel otherwise and I would love to hear their reasoning. I'm not sure why Steve continues to jabber on this subject as I really doubt he or anyone else going to apply for it.

bigbadwolf said:

Not correct the issue was resolved before he took the job. His citizenship and pension were never taken away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back