Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gunt86 said:
In case you haven't noticed, this thread is not only for US citizens. Thanks for your US-centric post once again.
Dude, it's about everyone including US citizens which Steve & Laurel ARE.

You can talk about whatever country you want to talk about. It seems you like Singapore. I guarantee US in this case is more relevant than Singapore.... But whatever.

That agreement is for Argentine born citizens who naturalize as Italians or US or whatever else is on the list. It is not the other way around.
Thanks for the clarification. But I don't think this is exactly correct. For example, natural born Spanish citizens can also have Argentine citizenship (and a few other countries) but not everyone. I haven't looked up all of them.

fedecc said:
Well, our foreign relations minister Héctor Timmerman has or had US and argentinian citizenship, so its certainly possible to have both.

I have dual Arg./US citizenship, too.

However, every time I enter Argentina with my US passport I'm asked when I became a US citizen. A few years back an immigration officer told me that if it was before the Malvinas/Falkland war I was OK, but people who got it after that had to opt for one or the other. I don't know whether this is still true.

Two futbolistas are franco-argentine : David Trezeguet and Gonzalo Higuain (too bad he didn't opt to play for the french selection)

SaraSara said:

However, every time I enter Argentina with my US passport I'm asked when I became a US citizen. A few years back an immigration officer told me that if it was before the Malvinas/Falkland war I was OK, but people who got it after that had to opt for one or the other. I don't know whether this is still true.

DNM Disposition 2742/2009 aproves the instructions for migratory treatment of Argentines that have acquired a foreign nationality.

Sara, Below are the sections which i believe are relevant to your case:

II - DE LOS ARGENTINOS RESIDENTES EN LA REPUBLICA ARGENTINA
B) Argentinos que se hubieran naturalizado en países con los cuales la República Argentina NO ha suscripto Convenio de Doble Nacionalidad.
1 - Egreso:
Los argentinos naturalizados en los países antes citados, para salir del país deberán presentar documento argentino de viaje hábil y vigente.
2 - Reingreso:
a) Al momento del reingreso a la República Argentina deberá presentar documento argentino de viaje hábil. En el caso de presentar solamente el pasaporte de la nacionalidad adquirida, hábil y vigente, en el que conste su condición de ARGENTINO, se les podrá intervenir aquél estampándose el sello de INGRESO con la leyenda "ARGENTINO" manuscrita bajo el sello, sin especificar plazo alguno. En el caso en que no constare la condición de argentino en la documentación extranjera, y el ingresante la invocara, deberá acreditar dicho extremo mediante la presentación de documento de identidad argentino (Cédula de Identidad emitida por la Policía Federal Argentina, DNI, LC o LE). Esto no habilitará el documento intervenido para la salida posterior del país, debiendo a tal efecto presentar documento argentino de viaje hábil y vigente. El funcionario actuante al ingreso deberá dar aviso de esta situación al titular del documento, al momento de su ingreso.

Countries with which Argentina has a double nationality agreement:

• COLOMBIA
  • CHILE
  • ECUADOR
  • EL SALVADOR
  • SPAIN
  • HONDURAS
  • ITALY
  • NICARAGUA
  • NORWAY
  • PANAMA
  • SWEDEN
  • UNITED STATES*
With regards to the United States, the agreement only applies to US naturalized Argentines until 10/20/1981.

Attorney in BA said:
With regards to the United States, the agreement only applies to US naturalized Argentines until 10/20/1981.

Does "until" mean before?

SaraSara said:

He was wrong, there was a decreto enacted during last dictatorship government that forbids this, but on 1984 was "erased" from our legal system. However, they are rusty and there is a lot of misunderstanding, even with low first stage judges.
Regards

Napoleon said:
I'm guessing that you're smart enough not to give someone like that your phone number, pero bueno.

This is a very interesting thread. I think that there are many people who have been in the country for over 2 years, but they have probably left the country at least once, if not several times, over that 2+ year period of time.

I'm guessing that leaving for lunch in Uruguay would restart the 2 year clock. Who knows anymore...

I was doing the research. You don´t lose the continuous 2 years by going to uruguay. You don´t lose it even if you go abroad for some time if you have your actual address here.

Regards

davepba said:
Up until the 1st of July 2010 it was a requirement to renounce your citizenship of origin.

However the judiciary ruled in Expte. No 2275/2010.- "Zunino Ignacio s /Peticion" that it was no longer required to give up your other citizenship on a side note nor is it any longer a requirement to state your religion.

cheers

This is a fallo Plenario, however is a peaceful precedent at Supreme Court that you don´t have to give up your nationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back