Argentine expats raving and ranting - where?

I can remember there being a website for Argentine expats in London (I think its called sapo de otro pozo). Not a forum though, mainly an informative type thing.

bebero said:
i thought you were joking when i read the post. are you?
Not at all. It would be very strange indeed if Argentinos were the only people living in a foreign country who didn't complain - everybody else does all over the world. The main problem seems to be difficulties in adjusting to differences in culture.

I just want to be able to demonstrate that expats complain, regardless of nationality.

I honestly think that expats that are living in 1st world countries that come from 3rd world(developing) countries would complain far less than the other way around... If not..why wouldn't all the 1st worlders move to the 3rd?
I am friends with many Argentines, Turks, Algerians, Mexicans etc.. that live in the US/Europe.. sometimes things are "tough".. but much the same problems as others have in the 1st world. None of them want to live back in their home countries. They love to visit..but when it comes to work, standards of living... they aren't running back home.
Things are not as easy as they were a decade ago in the States and Europe (don't know about Canada, never lived/been :p), but I can say...without a doubt..still "easier" than Capital Federal.

From what I have been told and have studied myself in my spare time, there is a sizable Argentinean population in Montreal, Canada (most of them went through the visa process and are there legally), several in Paris, France (many illegally), and several, several Argentineans in the comunidad autonoma de Galicia.

My gallego friends (truly from Galicia), like to ask them, "And who's the gallego now?" :D

Dunno if that helps you, but surely they have some sort of web community. Def. a starting point.

John.St said:
Can you guide me to sites where Argentine expats are complaining about conditions in the foreign country they live in?

Need some "counterweight" to show Argentinos that expats in Argentina aren't the only ones.
OOOHH BOY!
HAHA, ok, I don't have a site...just a simple anecdote of a trip my family took to Dominican Republic last year.
We went to a resort in Samana that was full of Canadians, Argentine, and a smattering of other Europeans. I would overhear people all day long in either English or Spanish.
The Canadians were generally pleased and amiable, and most likely half-drunk at any given time of the day... didn't hear any complaints though. The Europeans, much the same but didn't drink nearly as much. The Argentines complained about not having "the kind of facturas" that they were used to, they didn't like the meat, that (despite the HUGE buffet and Restaurants) they couldn't find what they wanted to eat. The pizza was too spicy, they couldn't understand how people could eat breakfast sausage in the morning, the coffee was too strong, they didn't like the towels, blah blah blah... even taking shots at the Canadians with the condescending "...son de otro mundo..." remarks.
I've worked with people of Latin American nationality that would cringe when they heard that I was going to get married with an Argentine woman. One woman I knew in Montreal told me point-blank "Argentinos are arrogant, they complain too much"

So that would mean that statistically you have a 50% chance of falling victim to crime in Argentina and Argentines are 100% more likely to complain more, than any other people in the world!

anabeeare said:
From what I have been told and have studied myself in my spare time, there is a sizable Argentinean population in Montreal, Canada (most of them went through the visa process and are there legally), several in Paris, France (many illegally), and several, several Argentineans in the comunidad autonoma de Galicia.

My gallego friends (truly from Galicia), like to ask them, "And who's the gallego now?" :D

Dunno if that helps you, but surely they have some sort of web community. Def. a starting point.
And don't forget Arizona. But I think most of them are illegal.

In Israel, migrants complain a lot. But again, everybody complains in Israel, and is a tough country to make it, because of the economy and the implied racism that seeps in everyday life. The best way to show your disagreement is with your feet, and people have been doing that a lot. Not many Argentineans decide to stay there after a few months/years.

marksoc said:
...But again, everybody complains in Israel, ...
Same as when the Argentinos in Argentina complain a lot about the government, crisis, problems, economy, etc. :D

I found this site http://despatriados.com/web/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=showcat&catid=9

Seems to be along the lines of BAexpats... but a lot broader considering the US is much larger and Argentines aren't very concentrated in one particular area. Argentines issues in the US are more of work immigrants, not "expats" who tend to move for pleasure or family though many of the concerns are the same.

I didn't spot too much complaining though... except about Argentina. :p
http://despatriados.com/web/index.p...c=view&id=28636&catid=14&limit=6&limitstart=0

Back