Argentine food for ex-baexpats

Utopos

Registered
It seems that at least a few of the people here are currently not located in Argentina. If you're missing those goodies you used to find in your local chino, I use a site that you might like. It's called Pampa Direct (https://pampadirect.com). I think their prices are reasonable, the selection excellent, and the shipping (free with $50 U.S. purchase) very fast. I've had orders arrive to Washington State in 4-5 days of being placed, never more than 8 or 9. They pack everything extremely well, so the cookies are never broken, the pionono never squashed, the alfajores pristine. And everything is within it's expiration date as well.

Just though others might find this useful...

I'll back this up. I have used Pampa Direct twice, with no problems at all.

Have you successfully had alcohol shipped to the US (or, better, California)?

I haven't ordered alcohol or sausage (crudo). You'd have to check your local regulations at the receiving end, your particular state for the U.S., to see what is permitted. Might be worth a try but check carefully first.

It's a very dark thing to order booze from abroad, alas. I guess I have to hope that I can get there in March, as currently planned.

This is from the U.S. Customs & Immigration website:

Shipping alcoholic beverages by mail is prohibited by U.S. postal laws. The importer must be 21 to bring alcoholic beverages into the United States.

Shipping alcoholic beverages through a courier is permitted, however, duty will be collected on the entire shipment (there is no duty exemption for alcohol not accompanying a traveler), and the courier will probably charge handling and Customs Broker fees that could significantly raise the cost of the shipment.

Pampa Direct uses FedEx, which along with DHL etc., is considered a courier service for this. Pampa Direct does state that you much accept the responsibility for the regulations of the shipment destination.

Does not seem worth the trouble. Buy liquor here (U.S.) and have a better reason for a headache.

Yeah, plus here in California, the only booze you can receive (ie. that can be shipped) from abroad is wine. And it must be shipped by a designated, licensed exporter. Ridiculous and archaic, but I have better things to grouse about.

Back