Argentine Movie Group

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I'd be interested in getting together once or twice per month with a group of people to watch, then discuss (over coffee or beers) an Argentine (or other) film. I'm posting this on Expat Life as there is much more traffic here but I'll move the thread to Cultural if we have enough interest to actually form a group.

Is there interest?

Cool, sounds good. I'd be interested, particularly in Argentinian or South American films. Let me know how you get on...

Are you all aware of the teatro "GAUMONT", it's part of the Argentine Film Institute, it's located on Av. Rivadavia, between Rodriguez Peña y Montevideo, right in front of the Plaza del Congreso Nacional. Great Argentine films, only $8 pesos general admission! Please let me know if you are planning to go I would love to join. I used to go quite often to the GAUMONT, but kind of fizzled out, would love to start up again. The GAUMONT is / was in danger of being torn down for a new building but last week the city goverment had a public hearng and it looks like CFK is going to purchase it. There is a petition to save it, please stop by if you can and sign it, it would be a true tragedy to lose this architectural and cinemetographic gem.......

I am interested as long as we watch and discuss only indie films (BAFICI, Cannes Film Festival, Berlin Film Festival, Locarno FF.......)
whatever their nationality but preference: Latin American movies

Can you guys recommend some classic Argentine films new and old; my mom is in town and I'd like to show her a few (although please NOTHING on the dirty war cuz she has already seen them all and thinks it's the only thing that ever happened here).

lucha54 said:
Can you guys recommend some classic Argentine films new and old; my mom is in town and I'd like to show her a few (although please NOTHING on the dirty war cuz she has already seen them all and thinks it's the only thing that ever happened here).

I'd recommend El Aura (2006). Stars Ricardo Darín. Ranks as one of the top 20 films I've seen in any language. It's a neo-noir film that was the Argentine 2006 entry to Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film. You can rent it on DVD with subtitles.

Back