Argentine things you've been converted to....

Mate of course and now that's its summer time (almost) mate with fanta.

Travelling on the Buqebus: I could spend hours and hours playing their videogames from the 90s...

sergio said:
I like the drain on bath room and kitchen floors. WHY can't American architects include this in their designs? Seems such a simple but important feature.

I think it is common here because the toilets use to have the shower in it.. just coming out of the nossle in the wall onto the floor.. or at least thats what i have seen in friends places that are in older buildings..

But i dont think they are put the drains in properly (no air trap - or bend) now as my last 2 apts (newer places) had really bad smells coming out of the drains in the floor..

I love the fact that i can go have a coffee at just about anytime of the night here.. the down side of that is that argentines think nothing of phoning at midnight wanting to know if you want to go for a coffee !!!!!!!

SER powdered drink mix (especially pera dulce).

TERRABUSI alfajor (especially the "Brownie" version).

CARREFOUR chimichurri picante (I no longer miss A-1).

FARGO pan de campo (the best commercial bread I've found in Argentina).

Faina..I used to think what the feck...but now I´m craving a bit of bean paste on my pizza!

Uncle Dermot said:
In my previous flat, when I was hand washing some stuff in the bathroom sink, the foam was popping out thru the drain on the bathroom floor, when I was doing the washing up in the kitchen sink the water and foam would come up thru the drain on the kitchen floor. In my new flat (brand new place, rented thru a friend) the disgusting smell coming out of the drain on the kitchen floor makes me puke sometimes. I don't really see the point of having a desagüe on the kitchen floor!
:D

Let me tell you that when you slip in the bathroom while your friend is out shopping, knock the sink off its pedestal disconnecting it from the water pipes and can't find the stopcock for 15 minutes, that little drain is a godsend!!! Unless of course your friend likes swimming round her apartment!

I LOVE their squeegie-like mop! I too, have become less bummed out about the toilet paper and quality of coffee.

I once pined for tasty Ranch dressing (35 pesos for imported Paul Newman's nearly expired stuff does not cut it) but now I am totally used to doing the lemon-salt-olive oil thing and feel better about myself for it!

I also used to get sooo annoyed that grocery stores would just be OUT of things or have a terrible selection in say, ice cream, flavors one time. Now, I realize this, "No te preocupes, no es importante" attitude of don't sweat the small stuff is actually healthy and works to my advantage whenever I am the one who screws up! Last week, I was forced to buy lemon instead of strawberry ice cream...but really, it is still quite tasty!

Emily,
You buy ice cream here at the grocery store??????...you MUST but MUST only buy ice-crem at one of those exceptional heladerias artesenales that are on every street corner. I think it`s written in the conistitution that it`s illegal to buy ice-cream anywhere else and they NEVER run out of your favorite flavors:D

Back