Argentine V. Argentinian

They can't get too picky. They do some awfully retarded things like calling all Americans yankees and all Spaniards gallegos.

And some people do really *thoughtless* things like use the word "retarded" to describe something bad... come on, man! (can you tell I'm a sensitive yankee)

They can't get too picky. They do some awfully retarded things like calling all Americans yankees and all Spaniards gallegos.

There is a difference though: When an Argentines call Spanish " gallegos " they know they hate it and continue to do so jokingly, however when they refer to Americans as " yankis " it has a clearly negative connotation.

There is a difference though: When an Argentines call Spanish " gallegos " they know they hate it and continue to do so jokingly, however when they refer to Americans as " yankis " it has a clearly negative connotation.

Heh, no different from being called "gabacho" back in San Diego, or "pocho". The former just amuses me, but the latter actually annoys me a little...

I always use Argentine as the later is just verbose. I hate the term Yanqui as like NY or Thames they don't even try to say it properly, but you mispronounce some Argentine term and there's always a correction to follow.

Argentines also called Menem a "Turco" and call all Asians "Chino." With Yanqui it's often negative, but much depends on context - my nephews always called me "el tío yanqui" with affection. If you hear it at a Cámpora rally, though, it's probably not cariñoso.

-The "ian" or "ean" in 'Argentinian'/ 'Argentinean' contains and can be felt as a put-down or diminishment of what some thing or person actually is. Like describing something or a person firmly connected to or identified with Scotland as "Scottish" rather than "Scots", "Argentinian" suggests that a thing or person is just 'sort of like' in some way(s) something that is wholly and exclusively of Argentina.

I was taught this by a Scots' friend who quite rightly objected when I called her 'Scottish'. Perhaps the Scots are more sensitive to this than Argentines are. But even if Argentines take being called the wrong thing with a grain of salt, the wrong word is stilll tinged by just saying that a thing is less than it is.

I wonder if this is an old person thing? how old is your friend?

I am Scottish and take no negative connotations from being called Scottish. Maybe you mean "Scotch"?

Scotch is a drink, i'm Scottish.

Argentinean or Argentine, brasileño or brasilero. Both forms are correct.

Does the Argentinean, Argentines, pronounce the "Yankee or Yanki, with as 'ianki or janki or shanki' ? Does it sound as the "Yo" as Sho? Trying to viualize it as in audio visual.!

Yes. The y in Yankee is pronounced like it is the vast majority of other words.

We pretty much always refer to people from the US as yankees, either with a negative or positive connotation. Sometimes it's norteamericanos, which is also clearly wrong, other few times estadounidenses, and very very few times as americanos, which is the most inaccurate name.

In the case of argentine/argentinian I always thought argentine was british english and argentinian american english. To me both words are fine.

Back