Argentine V. Argentinian

i dinna ken whit yur rabbiting oan aboot......

I'm a little surprised that none of the Scots here noticed that Graham-Yooll - who is of Scottish descent - refers to himself as an Anglo-Argentine. His book The Forgotten Colony bears the subtitle A History of the English-speaking Communities in Argentina, and also covers the Irish and Welsh.

When in doubt, go with the original - I generally use "Argentino(s)" and "Argentina(s)".

BTW, no comments here on Andrew Graham-Yooll's use of "Falklinas". I'll definitely use that one on my Argentino friends.

When in doubt, go with the original - I generally use "Argentino(s)" and "Argentina(s)".

BTW, no comments here on Andrew Graham-Yooll's use of "Falklinas". I'll definitely use that one on my Argentino friends.

You use Argentino/a when speaking English?

I thought "Falklinas" was amusing.

That's classic. Love it. Check this out. I can barely understand a word Robin Williams says. Does that mean his accent is authentic? I'm not an expert on Scottish accents. Or should I say Scott's accents. I'm not sure. Anyway, the video is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi6fPwWuO9I

A few years back, when I was playing Eve Online quite seriously, (you either play Eve seriously, or you don't play for long), we had a group of 8-10 on TeamSpeak or Ventrilo, I forget which. Anyhow one of my guildies was from Glasgow, and another was from Edinburgh. I could understand the one from Edinburgh, if I listened closely, but the lad from Glasgow was just utterly incomprehensible to my American ears. I didn't have a fookin' clue what the fook he was on about.

There is a difference though: When an Argentines call Spanish " gallegos " they know they hate it and continue to do so jokingly, however when they refer to Americans as " yankis " it has a clearly negative connotation.

Gallego couldnt possibly be an insult though, i was in Galicia some weeks ago and they were really the nicest people :)

Back