Argentine wifes inches from getting the boot

The real issue here is that she is so quick to lie to you in order to prioritize her social life over your potential health. Huge red flags. "No pasa nada?" Tell that to the people in Italy. Looks like you have some soul searching to do to see if this is somebody you want around for the rest of your life; somebody who has shown themselves to be an "egoista" when times get tough.

A lot of Argentines - probably the majority - do not like to plan in advance (except for vacations) or take precautionary measures. It's just not in the culture. Some Argentines who have come back from Germany or Switzerland told me how rigid they found the societies. It's that 'rigidity' that has made them successful. I hope your wife isn't sharing mate with her neighbors!

Ah damn, I'm very sorry to hear that. I can see why you're so paranoid.

Assuming you're on the younger side, the overwhelming likelihood is that this disease does not pose a risk to you or your wife. But, I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to take any risks.

That is tempting fate - there ARE young people dying from this virus. Also I've read that those who recover may suffer lung and heart problems.

Read these:

How do you explain what is going on in NYC?

Nobody knows what is going on in NYC. By which I mean to say that nobody knows the mortality rate as a percentage of people that are actually sick.

I have firsthand knowledge of how inadequate the “confirmed cases” metric is. The true number of sick people may easily be 3x higher - or much more. Because testing in NY (and in the US in general) is an absolute clusterfuck, nobody actually knows anything. (This ins why US deaths as a percentage of confirmed cases come to about 4%; in places that test comprehensively like Germany, the death toll is more like 1%).

The truth is this: by the time that New York started to shut down, it was too late. The disease had already run rampant. That doesn’t mean that the measures won’t be effective in terms of saving many more people. But had these same measures been put in place even a week earlier, thousands - including several people I know - would likely still be alive today.

Getting back to Jujuy or wherever the OP lives - the modeling for the distancing measures take some viveza into account. Outside of China, where people were reportedly locked into their apartments, that’s just how it is. The reason New York looks the way it does is because no measures were put in place for much too long.

The real issue here is that she is so quick to lie to you in order to prioritize her social life over your potential health. Huge red flags. "No pasa nada?" Tell that to the people in Italy. Looks like you have some soul searching to do to see if this is somebody you want around for the rest of your life; somebody who has shown themselves to be an "egoista" when times get tough.

When the next virus hits she'll be sorry that she didn't appreciate a good man with a bunker.

Last edited:
When the next virus hits she'll be sorry that she didn't appreciate a good man with a bunker.

They are all talking of this virus coming in three waves . This seems scary when you consider the last pandemic of 1918 as the first wave was relatively mild and the second and third waves much more severe .

Its time for herding... Elderly and the sick stay inside until a vaccine arrives. Economies need to restart, the damage this is going long term will far outweigh the deaths its causing. Poverty, unemployment and social unrest will hold more weight.

Some Argentines who have come back from Germany or Switzerland told me how rigid they found the societies. It's that 'rigidity' that has made them successful.

I wonder what “successful” really means.

Having nothing more pressing to do, I looked up suicide rates per country.

Country
Suicide Rank
Total Suicide Rate
Belgium
11​
20.7​
Switzerland
18​
17.2​
Finland
23​
15.9​
Sweden
28​
14.8​
Germany
37​
13.6​
Argentina
76​
9.2​

Amazing, how well messy Argentina ranks against those orderly (“rigid”) countries.

Just saying…..

I wonder what “successful” really means.

Having nothing more pressing to do, I looked up suicide rates per country.

Country
Suicide Rank
Total Suicide Rate
Belgium
11​
20.7​
Switzerland
18​
17.2​
Finland
23​
15.9​
Sweden
28​
14.8​
Germany
37​
13.6​
Argentina
76​
9.2​

Amazing, how well messy Argentina ranks against those orderly (“rigid”) countries.

Just saying…..

Affluence can create its own social problems. If the measure is standard of living, pensions, competent government, justice and health care Germany and Switzerland would seem to be light years ahead of Argentina. And I'd trust the statistics agencies of the six countries on the list much more than those of Argentina. Anyway you're trying to prove some point, presumably that the European countries on the list are worse places to live. To each his own.

Its time for herding... Elderly and the sick stay inside until a vaccine arrives. Economies need to restart, the damage this is going long term will far outweigh the deaths its causing. Poverty, unemployment and social unrest will hold more weight.

So the elderly and "sick" (whatever that means) should be compelled by law to say in their homes until there is a vaccine? Even if that is a couple of years from now? Apparently you are not one of the elderly or sick. What if the elderly and sick want to take the risk, just like anyhow else, and go out to resume a normal life? I don't understand how they are any more a threat to society than anyone else. They may be at greater risk of dying if they contract the virus but how are they a threat to the health of others? By sick I guess you would include everyone with HIV. Since they have weaker immune systems, they should also stay under indefinite house arrest? Who will have rights?

Back