Argentine wifes inches from getting the boot

I'm short of 70 by a few years as well. My concern is for the very healthy over 70s out there who will be almost complete shut ins. I've been in agreement with the government until now with their policies of handling the virus, but this is overkill. You leave it to the bureaucrats long enough and they will eventually **** things up.

There are people over 70 who are in better shape than people many, many years younger. And even if they aren't in the best shape it is their right to have the same freedom as anyone else. This is worse than fascism.

There are people over 70 who are in better shape than people many, many years younger. And even if they aren't in the best shape it is their right to have the same freedom as anyone else. This is worse than fascism.
I don't think its so much fascism as some idiot bureaucrat's idea as to how to manipulate the covid 19 mortality rate in CABA.

I don't think its so much fascism as some idiot bureaucrat's idea as to how to manipulate the covid 19 mortality rate in CABA.

The result is fascism. Some idiot thought it up and the others agreed. Hitler and Mussolini thought up similar ways to control people and a lot of people went along with it. Emergency powers are dangerous. They can easily violate civil rights. If this is tolerated Argentines are to be pitied for having learned nothing from the experience of the dictatorships. Is this the sort of society that expats want to live in? This is, after all, a site for expats. This is a topic that needs serious consideration.

The result is fascism. Some idiot thought it up and the others agreed. Hitler and Mussolini thought up similar ways to control people and a lot of people went along with it. Emergency powers are dangerous. They can easily violate civil rights. If this is tolerated Argentines are to be pitied for having learned nothing from the experience of the dictatorships. Is this the sort of society that expats want to live in? This is, after all, a site for expats. This is a topic that needs serious consideration.
I read somewhere today that this hare brained idea is already being reconsidered.

I read somewhere today that this hare brained idea is already being reconsidered.

I hope so but the very fact that it was even proposed shows that there is a fascistic streak to this government. Human rights can easily be violated. Everyone needs to be on guard

I think what you might have read is in regards to the sanctions initially proposed. They have been done away with since the intervention of the
Ombusman for the Elderly, Eugenio Semino.

17 April 2020
After the launch of a controversial permit for adults over 70 years of age to be able to circulate in the City of Buenos Aires , starting this Monday, and the tough questions that the Ombudsman for the Elderly, Eugenio, asked about the measure. Semino, the Buenos Aires government reversed the measure and clarified that there will be no fines or penalties.

I think what you might have read is in regards to the sanctions initially proposed. They have been done away with since the intervention of the
Ombusman for the Elderly, Eugenio Semino.

17 April 2020
After the launch of a controversial permit for adults over 70 years of age to be able to circulate in the City of Buenos Aires , starting this Monday, and the tough questions that the Ombudsman for the Elderly, Eugenio, asked about the measure. Semino, the Buenos Aires government reversed the measure and clarified that there will be no fines or penalties.
That is surely a start in the right direction, but I'd think the entire thing needs to be eliminated. Treating the elderly as some sort of homogeneous entity in need of monitoring and intervention is misguided in so many ways. A slippery slope as well.

That is surely a start in the right direction, but I'd think the entire thing needs to be eliminated. Treating the elderly as some sort of homogeneous entity in need of monitoring and intervention is misguided in so many ways. A slippery slope as well.

Yes a slippery and fascistic slope. Saying out loud such an idea is appalling. It would be like South Africa under apartheid - passes needed to travel. The same that happened blacks in Soweto. No difference at all. Discrimination against an age group rather than a race. What would be best?

Going back to the OP dilemma, here's a good piece on how to balance protecting our loved ones from the virus, and driving them out of the house through unrelenting supervision.

Life is not living without freedom. Expats from countries like the US, UK, Australia and others where freedom is a fundamental aspect of life grew up with this precept. They had the freedom to leave their native lands and settle in Argentina. Many had economic freedom in their native countries that gave them a good education, the training to get good jobs, acquire pensions and wealth that they could use in Argentina to enjoy a better life than most Argentines or maybe even better than they had in their native countries. Are those expats 70 and above willing to spend the next one to two years imprisoned in their homes?

Back