Argentines And Chileans Star A Mass Brawl In Copacabana

The Chileans were allegedly carrying a banner with this image, which is what may have started the fight:

YrDDeEh.jpg

I was likewise embarrassed/offended watching the post-match interview with Sampaoli (Chile's DT). All of the questions were nice enough, but then an Argentine reporter stands up and says "We Argentines all take pride in this since you're Argentine..." So what... the guy's from Arg, but it's Chile's victory!

Is there nothing some Argentines don't want to co-opt? Just let the Chileans have their moment in the sun for crissakes. Argentine exceptionalism at its finest.

The question is where was the police? They are fighting for two hours (!!!) and no police arrived to stop the fight? It is obvious that the police there is not prepared for a world cup or to busy attacking Brazilians with tear gas elsewhere.

Reactions: Joe
The question is where was the police? They are fighting for two hours (!!!) and no police arrived to stop the fight? It is obvious that the police there is not prepared for a world cup or to busy attacking Brazilians with tear gas elsewhere.

Although I do not disagree with your assessment of the police, I do think that they were probably present, watching and having a blast seeing the Argentines getting their asses kicked.

I was likewise embarrassed/offended watching the post-match interview with Sampaoli (Chile's DT). All of the questions were nice enough, but then an Argentine reporter stands up and says "We Argentines all take pride in this since you're Argentine..." So what... the guy's from Arg, but it's Chile's victory!

Is there nothing some Argentines don't want to co-opt? Just let the Chileans have their moment in the sun for crissakes. Argentine exceptionalism at its finest.

It wasn't a reporter. It was a Camporista.

Although I do not disagree with your assessment of the police, I do think that they were probably present, watching and having a blast seeing the Argentines getting their asses kicked.
... or waiting for their bribe before moving in.

Back