Argentines are warm; Americans are cold

I dont think that any European parent prefers to rely on the help of there kids instaead of hiring help. If that is not possible you probally end up in the home of one of your. Maybe this is different in the USA but it´s like that in Europe

I arrived wednesday in BsAs. Upon arriving and going through customs I went to a taxi stand and paid for a taxi to take me to my new apartment. They printed out a work order and gave it to the driver. The work order had printed the address of my destination. After what seem like a long time and the taxi driver seemed lost he pulled to the curb and said this is the destination. Not being exactly dense and speaking and reading spanish I told the driver this is not the destination written on the work order. He pointed to the work order and said it was. When I got close enough to try to read it he jerked it away from my sight. I told him "No soy el salir del taxi" He then proceeded to go to my destination. After ten minutes he found the right address. Can you imagine if I did not understand or speak Spanish and was droped off somewhere I did not know where I was. When we got to the destination the owner was waiting for me in front. I got off and told him "F***ing A**hole. I think he knew what I said. I said to myself are these the kind of people I'm going to have to deal with.
DQ

You are right that American young people like to leave home and live alone or with girlfriends/boyfriends. That's true here too. The difference is that in Argentina it is very difficult to do so for economic reasons. I know people in their late 20's and 30's who are unmarried and still living at home - not because they prefer to do so but because they simply can not afford high rents. Let me give you an exaample: a lawyer friend in his early 30's makes $1,500 pesos a month. He would love to have his own place in Barrio Norte. How can he on a salary like that? It is a lot easier to stay at home in a nice house in Zona Norte. I know lots of people in this situation. Economics is a very important factor here in family unity or what appears to be family unity. Because of very low salaries family members have to pool their resources. Several people earning a few hundred pesos each are able to survive if they live together. The better off can live a comfortable life if they share the same home but it is quite hard for those who are not very well established in some sort of profession to be independent. Elderly people often have no option but to live with their children. Would they do this if they didn't have to? Some probably would but I am willing to bet that many - possibly the majority - would not. You must also take into consideration that a home occupied by several generations does not necessarily mean a happy home. I know some families who are very disunited, even though economics forces them together. One family I know have a large compound of several modest houses in the western suburbs. Brother and sister live in separate houses with their families. They do not talk to each other! They simply can not change their living environment for economic reasons. In the past it was true that there was quite a bit of family unity in Argentina and there may still be to a reasonable extent however the divorce rate is very high in Argentina which would seem to suggest another reality.

Rush to judgement. Needless to say I was really pissed at the taxi driver trying to pull a stunt like I discribed. I'm here to sharpen my verbal skill in Spanish and I try to talk to everybody I can. I'v talked to some very nice people. They are a little preplexed to see a Hispanic looking man who speaks broken Spanish. We laugh, they have been real nice and helpful.
I think I read on this site that Argentine food is bland. I'v had some great food here. There is little take out shop (coimdas para llevar) that has some fantastic Italian dishes. This is my third time in BsAs. I alway have a great time here. I just have to keep my guard up at all times and my eyes on the ground.
Any Baby Boomer like to get together for a drink.
DQ

BA4allofus. I see your attention span is very short. Rush to judgment was a follow up on a privious post about Jerks, I think that you can relate to that.Your juvinile attititude indicate you must be very, very young. God willing you will have the good fortune to attain my age. The only differance is that you will be old but still stupid.
DQ

Don Quxiote - I'm sorry to hear that. I have never had a problem with taxis here. I don't speak much Spanish & I'm very non-Argentine looking (blonde, blue eyed, fair-skinned) so everyone is quite aware I'm a tourista. In fact, I was in a taxi the other day & the driver missed the street. He stopped the meter & drove me back around, apologizing for the delay.

I guess my point is that not all Argentines are out to take advantage of you. Sometimes reading this forum, it seems all people do is complain about being here & how terrible everyone is & how everyone takes advantage of them. I would hate to see that become your attitude as well b/c of one negative experience.

Sure - there are people here who do. But by & large, my experiences in traveling here & now living here have been overwhelming positive ones & 99% of the people have gone out of their way to help me.

Dear Citygirl.
You seam like a very nice young lady. I wish there were more people in this world like you. You are right, not all Argentines are out to take advantage of you. I'm a 65 year old man, I'v been on 4 contenets and have seen a lots of thing people are a capable of doing. All I suggest to you is don't be too trusting. most people are good but there are those on who will take your trust for weaknes.

"sergio" said:
"Also what is unfair is charging foreigners more for other items, just because they are foreign. Even the national parks charge a higher price for foreigners. I can't think of other countries that discriminate in this way.
Thailand charges foreigners more for national park entry. When I crossed the Mekong on a ferry in Cambodia, I was charged the equilvalent of US 25 cents but a fellow passenger said the locals are only charged a 1 cent. 2500 percent markup! Some of my fellow expats even refused to go to the national park with me because of this "outrageous discrimination." But when I visited New Mexico recently they charge more to non state residents for some museum entry. US States also charge more to non residents for higher education.If the state is supporting an institution through tax revenues it seems perfectly reasonable to charge foreigners more.The one issue for me, is the assumption in Argentina (or Thailand) that the foreigner is richer. What about when a poor farmer from Paraguay who visits and has to pay more than a local?

Back