Argentinian Citizenship?

nibor730

Registered
Hello,

I am a British citizen married to an Argentinian. We are currently living in London and plan to make the UK our home.

I am thinking of applying for Argentinian citizenship as I figure in this day and age a second passport can never be a bad thing.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible without actually living in Argentina?

Thanks.

First: Argentine, please.

To your question: Do you currently have residency with a DNI extranjero? If not, that would seem to be the logical first step. I think you'd have to do that here in Argentina but I'm not an expert so take it with a grain of salt.

You must reside in Argentina for citizenship. If you can get DNI, that's a good first step. I have done both processes.

I am a British citizen married to an Argentinian. We are currently living in London and plan to make the UK our home.

I am thinking of applying for Argentinian citizenship as I figure in this day and age a second passport can never be a bad thing.

Migraciones can tell you what a foreigner married to an Argentine needs to get an Argentine passport:

PASAPORTE PARA EXTRANJEROS (ART. 8 INC. “D” DTO. 261/2011)

1)[font=Droid Serif'] Cónyuge o viudo de ciudadano argentino [/font]

Requisitos

[font=Droid Serif']a) Documento Nacional de Identidad [/font]
[font=Droid Serif']b Certificación expedida por la autoridad consular que corresponda a su nacionalidad en la cual conste la pérdida de la misma, o el o los motivos que impiden a dicha autoridad extender pasaporte al interesado.[/font]
[font=Droid Serif']c) Testimonio o certificado de la partida de nacimiento, de matrimonio y de defunción, en su caso, o Libreta de Matrimonio donde conste la inscripción del mismo, sólo cuando el acto se encuentre debidamente inscripto en la República Argentina, o en su defecto testimonio o certificado de la partida de nacimiento y matrimonio extranjeras traducidas al idioma castellano con legalización del Colegio de Traductores; [/font]
[font=Droid Serif']d) Libreta Cívica, o de Enrolamiento o Documento Nacional de Identidad del cónyuge, o carta de ciudadanía del cónyuge, a los efectos de acreditar la nacionalidad argentina del mismo; [/font]
[font=Droid Serif']e) Certificado expedido por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones que acredite su residencia legal.[/font]

[font=Droid Serif']In English (thanks to translate.google.com):[/font]

PASSPORT FOR FOREIGNERS (ARTICLE 8 INC. "D" DTO 261/2011)

1) Spouse or widower of Argentine citizen

Requirements

A) National Identity Document
B Certification issued by the consular authority that corresponds to his nationality in which the loss of the same is recorded, or the reason (s) that prevent that authority from issuing a passport to the interested party.
C) Testimony or certificate of the birth, marriage and death certificate, if applicable, or Marriage Book containing the inscription thereof, only when the act is duly registered in the Argentine Republic, or failing testimony Or certificate of foreign birth and marriage certificate translated into Spanish language with legalization of the Translation School;
D) Civic or Enrollment Book or National Identity Document of the spouse, or letter of citizenship of the spouse, for the purpose of proving the Argentine nationality of the spouse;
E) Certificate issued by the National Directorate of Migration that proves their legal residence.

It does not look like you need to have Argentine citizenship to obtain an Argentine passport. You only have to be married to an Argentine citizen to get the passport.

It is clear that you would need a DNI and a certificate of your legal residence. The questions I cannot answers are:

A: Can an Argentine consulate issue a DNI and/or an Argentine passport?

B: Does the legal residency have to be in Argentina?

PS: Citizenship is granted by the federal courts, not migraciones and the process would take about a year.

It is clear that you would need a DNI and a certificate of your legal residence.

I think you can apply for your permanent residency at an Argentine consulate in the UK, but I don't know if they can also issue the DNI and the passport, Even if they can't, with a couple quick trips to Argentina over a two or three month period, you should be able to get your DNI and passport.

No.

Much as in the UK, being married to a citizen will get you leave to remain indefinitely in Argentina. You can only apply for naturalization (based on residence here or family), in federal court in Argentina.

Regarding the Argentine passport for non-citizens, this is (as stated explicitly in the info that steveinbsas quoted, paragraph B ) only for people who have lost their original citizenship or are for unable for other reasons to get a travel document from their country of citizenship. As well, you must be resident here (paragraph E). I don't think that any of these would apply here.

Anecdotally, I know a couple of people who used these, and a couple of years ago it became terribly complicated - they all but stopped issuing passports to non-citizens a few years back. One of the 2 ended up naturalizing in order to be able to travel, the other managed to get one in the end but was terribly difficult.

Back