Argentinian Wines

One practical question.... Best Argie wines under $50 PESOS , where to find them ,,,, Special deals?

I'm interested in this question too. Bianchi malbec DOC has been highly recommended, but I'm having trouble finding it. Other good ones?

DADA is a decent wine for the price

dada.jpg

My Favorites for under $50
Uxmal
Finca La Linda
Finca Flichman
Estiva-1
Don Huberto

I second Uxmal and Finca La Linda. I would add Elementos, but it's been a few months so I'm not sure if it's under 50 pesos anymore. Cafayate (from Salta) is not bad at all, and even cheaper. But I think I remember hating their rosado because it was sickeningly sweet, so stick to the reds and whites. Quara (also from Salta) is better than Cafayate, but may be over 50 now.

All of these wines can be found absolutely everywhere.

The most popular Argentine wine I see in the New York City tri-state area is Alamos, which I never thought was that great. The price ranges from $10-$12 dollars. I have also seen Norton, but not the table variety, the reserve variety for around $20 dollars. I have yet to see a large display of Argentine wines anywhere around here, there are many more Chilean wines to chose from (I wonder why??). Most of the wine drinkers I speak to have never tried an Argentine wine, I found some Catena Zapata in Miami and shared it with some friends who enjoyed it very much. I still don't think that Argentine wines will ever come close to the popularity of French, Italian or Spanish wines due to history and Argnetina's lack of ability to organize successful business ventures that are long lasting and stable. Just not in their blood, which is a shame because in my opinion a number of Argentine wines rival wines from the countries in mention and have won international awards. I am sure Argentine wines are more popular in some other countries besides the US that I haven't travelled to, however I am sure the same holds true around the world regarding their ability to meet supply and demand. Argentine exports are falling in numbers all to the detriment of the people and the economy.

Berkeley Bowl carries a substantial selection of Argentine wines, at least as many as they do from Chile, including from Cafayate as well as Mendoza: http://www.berkeleybowl.com/wine_and_beer.html

One of the best wines I've had is Desierto. They produce two Malbecs, one valued around $100 pesos and the other around $200. This particular wine comes from La Pampa and has beat all the Mendoza wines I've tried. I don't know if the difference is in the soil or if it's because the owner is from California :)

For a decent, cheap wine, I would second Dada--you can find this one in practically all the chinos. Excellent taste for between $40-60.

Desierto you can't find in supermarkets (haven't seen the red Dada in supers either--just chinos), and in general I would avoid going to supermarkets for high quality wines - as they sell the wines from the largest producers for mass consumption. Go to a specialty wine shop for the good stuff.

One of the best wines I've had is Desierto. They produce two Malbecs, one valued around $100 pesos and the other around $200. This particular wine comes from La Pampa and has beat all the Mendoza wines I've tried. I don't know if the difference is in the soil or if it's because the owner is from California :)

The owner of Bodega del Desierto is from Argentina. He contracts Paul Hobbs as a consulting winemaker.

I love pinot noir. paul hobbs is up with the best. good malbec has big fruit flavor's when presented right. Alamos by catena is sold in US low level for 8.00 and reservea for 16.00. not the same. something is lost on the boat ride. 4 or 5 years ago I paid 50 peso in BA for Alamos and loved it. I believe in the malbecs

Back