Argentinian Wines

For all of u Penguin wine dispenser lovers,, warning many places selling Tetrabick wine box in a penguin....!!

I've been very happy lately with inexpensive wines from Valle de Tulum in San Juan. Las Moras's (Dada, Love, etc.) were already mentioned here. Another big winery there is Graffigna. Did someone find their Pinot Grigio at a good price? There's also Casa Montes. I liked their Ampakama Torrontés, Viognier late harvest, and Fuego Negro, given their very-low prices, but I didn't enjoy a few other inexpensive reds and rosés they make.

Apparently, San Juan is still regarded as a producer of low-quality wines, and some of its wineries even avoid stating the place of origin on their labels. But that's been changing, although the step forward in quality has been taken about a decade later than in Mendoza.

Escorihuela Gascon Malbec is one my favorites along with the Salentien Cab which is very dry right now unless you back in years. Salentine 2003 was a great year whenever I come across it I pick it up. The Escorihuela Gascon Malbec 2009 Gran Reserva is for me an almost perfect bottle of wine. I little pricey I am getting them here in URU for between $23 USD and and $60 USD depending on which year etc...

Apparently, San Juan is still regarded as a producer of low-quality wines, and some of its wineries even avoid stating the place of origin on their labels. But that's been changing, although the step forward in quality has been taken about a decade later than in Mendoza.

The best Argentine Merlot I've ever had was from the Pedernal, in San Juan. Their wines tend to be more rustic and intense than those of Mendoza. FYI, the wineries of Mendoza are the best customers for grapes and juice from San Juan - as much as 20% in a number of Mendoza wines - it is used for intensity and depth, both in color and flavor characteristics. Ampakama is a good choice for value - their regular Viognier is very nice.

Nancy and Rodalfo I think maybe you had a corked bottle because everyone I know has really enjoyed it! Chacun a son gout!

No
Nancy and Rodalfo I think maybe you had a corked bottle because everyone I know has really enjoyed it! Chacun a son gout!
No not corked, just awful wine. I have friends that always bring that wine when I invite them to dinner. 2 years ago I decided not to serve it and just set the bottle aside and act like I forgot about it. I have another friend that always brings Elemental, I do the same with that wine. I have decided that I am way to old to have to suffer with bad wine.
Nancy

Back