"argentna's Hypocrites Are Steeped In Blood" London Times

I am in the middle of reading Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan. A difficult read for me, about Edward Curtis photographing the American Indians. He spend years with different triibes all over the USA, getting to know about their lives, religion, etc. Talks about how they were slaughtered. I can only read in short spurts. I know Canada, Australia, Germany, Russia, and ? all guilty of the same disgusting behavior. It was the same reading Mitchner's Alaska book, kill, kill, kill.

I know this is off the subject, point your finger at Argentina, but also point your finger at your own country at the same time. Western civilization is disgusting.

Nancy

I am in the middle of reading Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan. A difficult read for me, about Edward Curtis photographing the American Indians. He spend years with different triibes all over the USA, getting to know about their lives, religion, etc. Talks about how they were slaughtered. I can only read in short spurts. I know Canada, Australia, Germany, Russia, and ? all guilty of the same disgusting behavior. It was the same reading Mitchner's Alaska book, kill, kill, kill.

I know this is off the subject, point your finger at Argentina, but also point your finger at your own country at the same time. Western civilization is disgusting.

Nancy

True but at least these countries recognise it, rather than putting them on the 100 peso note and celebrating the invasion of the Falklands.
There is quite a difference.

True but at least these countries recognise it, rather than putting them on the 100 peso note and celebrating the invasion of the Falklands.
There is quite a difference.
The governments acknowledge the slaughter and that makes it all better, or better than the Argentines, right!
Nancy

The governments acknowledge the slaughter and that makes it all better, or better than the Argentines, right!
Nancy

The post is about the hypocrisy of screaming colonialism because nearly 200 years ago a Buenos Aires garrison was asked to leave by the British when in fact all Argentines are inheritors and beneficiaries of colonialism themselves.

There is of course one major difference between the founding of Argentina and the Falklands (no its not about implanted populations, the wide array countries of origin of the beneficiaries of colonialism, the percentage of people with some indian DNA in their blood or any other feats of sophistry the Argentines are fond of) - it is simply that there was no indigenous population that had to be slaughtered in the Falklands.

Nancy

Nancy, What about Asian civilization? What did the Japanese do to the Chinese? To the Koreans? Why are the Japanese so disliked by Asians? What did they do to Americans at Peral Harbor or in their brutal prisoner camps? Just one example. We can find many others of brutality in Asian societies. And the Middle East? What rights do people, especially women, have there? Are you aware of the slaughter of over 60,000 Syrians to date? BRUTAL slaughter by a tyrannical government. And Africa? Aren't there still brutal disputes between rival tribes? Isn't all this DISGUSTING?

Nancy, What about Asian civilization? What did the Japanese do to the Chinese? To the Koreans? Why are the Japanese so disliked by Asians? What did they do to Americans at Peral Harbor or in their brutal prisoner camps? Just one example. We can find many others of brutality in Asian societies. And the Middle East? What rights do people, especially women, have there? Are you aware of the slaughter of over 60,000 Syrians to date? BRUTAL slaughter by a tyrannical government. And Africa? Aren't there still brutal disputes between rival tribes? Isn't all this DISGUSTING?
I think what she is trying to say is that it's only disgusting to slaughter, rape and pillage if it is Anglo-American in origin.

Nancy

I agreed with you until you said Westen civilization is disgusting. I wouldnt call it civilization to begin with, quite the contrary, but besides that, its not just Western. Throughout history people from everywhere on the planet have killed and conquered, it happened on every continent and by every race. Yes, European colonialism was massive, slavery on a scale that the world hadnt seen before, but its because they had the means to do so, not because they were more evil than other societies. Its also what we in Western societies learn about the most, as it directly involves our countries, our ancestors. But that doesnt mean nothing ever happened in China, or nothing went on in Africa. People talk about native Americans as if they were some kind of holy tribes, but before being slaughtered by Europeans, they had quite some wars and a long history of killing. I agree that this history is obviously a dark one, but the attitude of everybody else but the white person being the victim just isnt correct. Argentines seem to be infused with viewing history in this way, and therefor dont recognize that the first thing their own country did when it gained its independence, was go ahead and slaughter some more. In their mind its only Europe that ever did such thing, the rest of the world just suffers because of it.

Let me clarify:

What I am saying is that all forms of genicide is horrendous and every society is guilty of it in one form or another. White, black, Asia, Aboriginie, everybody! I am not saying any one people is more or less guilty, what I am saying is that EVERY BODY is GUILTY, and don't point your freaking finger at one country without looking at your own. And stop making up lies about what I said!
N

And stop making up lies about what I said!
N

You said "Western Civilization is disgusting" with the implication that only Western Civilization was guilty of colonization atrocities.

You also said that Argentinian pizza bared such little resemblance to the original Italian as to be considered a different food. I know this has deeply offended many of my Argentinian pizza partners!

The first statement is exceedingly Politically Correct - the second is questionable.

Back