Arriving (Maybe?) Soon

I'm really excited about it, despite all the complaints I've read. The way I look at it, nowhere is perfect, and every situation is as good as what you make out of it. I will miss some of the convenience of America, but like I said in another thread, I'm taking the opportunity to enjoy more of life without all of the "stuff" that we are so obsessed with here in the states. And how else do we grow without a bit of a challenge! :)

It's really refreshing to be a bit removed from the rampant consumerism and sense of entitlement.... that's a plus of living in the developing world. BA has a lot going for it despite the drawbacks. I'm sure you will love it.

It's a lovely time of year to be arriving! And 3 months will fly by and I'm sure you will have a blast - there will be so much to see and do. Enjoy!

thanks everyone! lucha54 - i totally agree. It's actually kind of refreshing that I can't get anything I want delivered to my door the next day - another good reminder that I don't really need most of it.

FYI I'm here and on day 2, and I've already survived my first trip to the grocery store. I do have to say that I miss having a car to carry home my bags :) But I guess the way around that is just to buy less and more often, and that goes for living in any big city really.

thanks everyone! lucha54 - i totally agree. It's actually kind of refreshing that I can't get anything I want delivered to my door the next day - another good reminder that I don't really need most of it.

FYI I'm here and on day 2, and I've already survived my first trip to the grocery store. I do have to say that I miss having a car to carry home my bags :) But I guess the way around that is just to buy less and more often, and that goes for living in any big city really.
But Pitipur you're learning the first lesson of Bsas...they deliver everything..from meds to ice-cream..even McDonalds.....start joining the envio a domicilio queues and enjoy this most wonderful part of Bsas life!!!!

But Pitipur you're learning the first lesson of Bsas...they deliver everything..from meds to ice-cream..even McDonalds.....start joining the envio a domicilio queues and enjoy this most wonderful part of Bsas life!!!!
I struggled carrying groceries around for the first 2 months. Even if it's only two blocks it's awful and all the liquid weight can really be a hassle. All mini marts and chinese supermarkets deliver free of charge (they are more expensive though). Alternatively, the supermarket called Disco delivers for only 12 pesos. I've been doing that and I'm very happy with the service and their prices.

wowwwwww thanks guys! I had no idea about the delivery service! That's a real game changer.

Again expanded delivery service is something I've never even considered having never lived in a big city even back in the states.

No problem. I honestly always dreaded the whole experience of carrying grocery bags. Even with a car it's a real hassle. No one delivers groceries, at least not in big city suburbs, anymore. Here it's entirely different. There are also websites that will get you food delivery if you ever feel too lazy to cook. They basically put all available restaurants based on your address. Personally I use sinimanes.com.ar and it has worked wonders for me.

If you need anything else, just ask. People in here have helped me a lot, I'm actually getting better are living here. This BA Expats group is great if you need some friendly advice or you feel like getting into a heated debate that makes you want to punch someone.

Great to see you settling in.
Perhaps all these restrictions help us to appreciate what we haven't got.
Did I really say that?

You're going soft Gringoboy..

You can get everything delivered, booze, cigarettes (not that i smoke anymore, but some people still do!) groceries, even your local coffee place will send a guy out with coffee and facturas. I took me a while in work to understand that everyone orders their food to be delivered to the office, almost unheard of in Ireland unless you are working late and ordering pizza. There is generally a queue at reception here for deliveries of pizzas, milanesasa and whatnot.

Anywhere you go anbd are buying something slightly bulky, just ask..."ustedes hacen entregas?"...99% of the time they are happy enough to do it for a small fee and a wee tip to the delivery driver.

The only caveat for supermarkert deliveries is frozen stuff, also careful with the meat you pick and no fish in my experience. Remember, if you aren't going first thing in the morning (unlikely if you're working) it'll likely be next day delivery. They pack it in the line...it will sit in a coolbox with cooler packs so frozen stuff is out. Not too worry, your local ice cream store delivers! It can even go beyond delivery, we bought a lot of food for a prty for around 15 to 20 people recently for a panaderia..(migas, other fancier hot food) and for the princely sum of 200 pesos (just over 20 usd) they offered us a waitress. Totally brilliant, she came round and served drinks, brought food round..she was a shadow. You can find whatever level of service you need in terms of delivery and a bit of extra help.

For me, life savers have been:
1. SUBE card...goodbye shuffling around for change!

2. Ferias itinerantes (hmm...moveable markets?)...finally good quality chicken, pork and fresh veg (get up early ish at the weekend and shop in fresh air). Best prices and to me it feels better buying here than in the supermarket. The eggs are nicer and fresher too. Check this website and have a look at the one near where you live: http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/espacio_publico/mantenimiento_urbano/ferias_mercados/ubicacion.php?menu_id=23759

3. Finally, i notice these are fairly food focused, maybe it is too close to lunchtime! ,....i recommend reading this food blog for restaurant advice. Very well written and really useful - http://pickupthefork.com/

Once you look hard enough you realise there is a lot of average rubbish on sale in the supermarkets, I find myself now with a list of go to places which deliver or have better quality food, really tasty stuff. Same with pizza, 90% is pretty average, but if you look you can find something pretty close to what you like if you adapt your tastes a little.

Outside of the local mass produced muck (Quilmes!), some of the local beer is really good. I like Schneider and Isenbeck for the more commercial offerings, but the micro brew stuff can be great if you find a good one.

Sorry, long post...too close to lunch time and getting toward the weekend so my mind has turned towards beer and nice food!

Back