Arriving on one-way ticket. Problems?

harrisonba said:
Hi all,

Has anyone here flown into EZE from Canada/USA/Europe and had any actual problems?

Thanks!

The online airline that seems to be causing any anxiety is United, who you have to convince it's ok to allow you to go if you're flying them, once you have your ticket it's smooth sailing into BA.

The airline is supposed to make sure that the person is in compliance with the immigration laws of the country. If you have a residence visa, then there's no problem. Otherwise, you are supposed to show that you will not overstay the length of the tourist visa. If you can't, the airline can refuse to check you in until you get one. The explanation I have heard (unofficial) is that if the person is refused entry to the country for not appearing to comply with the immigration laws (ie, for appearing to plan to stay indefinitely on a tourist visa), then the airline gets stuck with the cost of flying the person back home.

Whether they enforce that rule or not depends on the airline. A year or so ago a friend of mine who owned an apartment here was not allowed to return to Argentina (he was flying back from a visit to the States) until he bought a return ticket. He got a fully refundable ticket which he later cancelled (although he still got stuck with a fee for having bought the ticket at the counter). The airline in that case was Delta.

I never had any issues, but I always have to show my DNI (as well as my passport) when I check in at EZE. I think the airline then makes a note that I am a permanent resident, so there is never a problem on the return flight.

For what it is worth I am currently here on a one way ticket and had no problems.

The bottom line is-- one you get past check-in you are home free. If you get hassled at check-in tell them you are moving on from Argentina via bus or ferry to Montevideo or the worst case scenario you buy a fully refundable ticket home or out of Argentina.

My experience is that I have flown twice into Argentina with a one-way ticket and on both occasions the airline (Gol) would not check me in without proof of a ticket leaving Argentina. The first time was in Lima and luckily I had a flight booked to the US a couple of months later - all I had to do was to show her the e-ticket. The second time was in Bogota and I was prepared ans emailed myself a fake e-ticket, showed her it and that did the trick. My girlfriend, as a Mercosur citizen, did not get asked.

Anyone have experiences with coming in as a tourist and having a round-trip ticket that leaves more than 90 days after arrival? Is this also an issue with the airlines, since the time allotted would exceed the tourist visa?

I came in this week. The check-in lady in Bangkok was confused that I didn't have an exit ticket. When I got here, I paid the American tax and there were no issues.

I should say that I came from Bangkok to get to BA, and in Bangkok was the only place I had any issue for not having a BA exit ticket. In the end, there were no real hassles

Hi All,
Thanks for the useful information, I to am travelling on a one-way ticket to BA next month and was going to post this exact thread! What about the options of purchasing a fully refundable bus ticket to Chile or Brasil? Would that work? In any case it doesnt seem like much of a problem. Cheers,
Vyv

Vyvaus said:
Hi All,
Thanks for the useful information, I to am travelling on a one-way ticket to BA next month and was going to post this exact thread! What about the options of purchasing a fully refundable bus ticket to Chile or Brasil? Would that work? In any case it doesnt seem like much of a problem. Cheers,
Vyv

It will be quite hard to find a bus company that sells refundable tickets, unfortunately.

This comes up time and again. ICBA to find the link to the Embassy of Argentina UK website again but it is quite clear: Argentina does not have an onward or return ticket policy for tourists but it does reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone they suspect of not arriving for touristic purposes or not having enough resouces to support themselves as a tourist during their stay. Ways of demonstrating that you are a bona-fide tourist might, but don't have to, include having a return ticket. Any airline that is enforcing a return ticket policy is enforcing its OWN return ticket policy, not that of the Argentine government. If you don't like it: fly with another airline - there are plenty of them.

Back