Arriving same time as world cup game

Rala4

Registered
Hi all, I am coming to Buenos Aires next week and have been reading these forums for a while its very useful.

My problem is that while watching the world cup, I came to realise my plane lands 2 hours before the big semi-final game that Argentina will play if they beat Germany...

Where I live football is not very popular, but from reading around it seems like the entire city stops when Argentina play. Am I right in thinking there will be no taxis into the city.. ? And afterwards it might be impossible to arrange a hotel or anything as the people celebrate or otherwise, or am I exagerrating ?

Do you think it would be best to change my ticket to 1 week later... ? Thanks

Rala4 said:
Hi all, I am coming to Buenos Aires next week and have been reading these forums for a while its very useful.

My problem is that while watching the world cup, I came to realise my plane lands 2 hours before the big semi-final game that Argentina will play if they beat Germany...

Where I live football is not very popular, but from reading around it seems like the entire city stops when Argentina play. Am I right in thinking there will be no taxis into the city.. ? And afterwards it might be impossible to arrange a hotel or anything as the people celebrate or otherwise, or am I exagerrating ?

I think there will be plenty if taxis and remis available. I always pass the remis desk when leaving the terminal and turn right to get a taxi that is dropping off departing passengers. It's usually cheaper and faster.

Haven't you already made arrangements for a hotel? Checking in shouldn't be a problem if you have. Most restaurants, many businesses, and even the banks will be closed if Argentina is playing, but they will reopen shortly after the conclusion...win or lose.

Remember, it's only the semi final.

Thanks Steve, yeah I'm going to to book the hotel and everything beforehand.. Just that I've never been to South America before and I guess I was having visions of all the roads being closed and burning tyres and riots in the streets in front of the hotel lol

Well, actually its the quarter finals, and its on Saturday, so banks wouldn't be open anyway. bars and restaurants will be open, with people watching the match. Despite Steve's view, I would be more pessimistic - This place grinds to a halt when the match is on.... Tn - The local news channel, had a great feature piece last week, showing the Collectivo's (buses) empty, and the streets deserted while Argentina were playing, so be prepared for delays. Yes, once the game is over, things will revert to more normality, and I would assume that you have a reservation made at a hotel etc., and its simply a case of checking in, but be prepared is all I advise, you may be hanging around the airport for a while :)....

Welcome to BsAs :)

And just to advise.... This isn't Greece or Spain, we're civilised here, (check the news from yesterday) no riots will take place (we will win!)......

If we win = Total gridlock downtown as everyone has already taken to celebrating the wins at the Obelisco (despite the fact that we're not yet through to the finals!)

If we lose = prepare to see lots of depression, your cab driver may sound suicidal etc.... this will shortly be followed by a lot of aggressive swearing and verbal brutality against Diego Maradona.

From my last few trips through the airport, there can be up to an hour wait to get a remise regardless of the day.

So prepare for a wait to get in a cab, but you should have a really quick trip into the city because there will be zero traffic.

As far as a hotel -- you should have one arranged for your first night simply because this is a big fuck-off city and you'll need to tell your driver to drop you off somewhere -- you don't want to be wandering around on foot with all your stuff trying to find a place.

During one of the matches I had to go to the doctors -- I rode my bike through Belgrano, it was as quiet, if not more, than on a sunday. I saw the first goal and then as I rode home I followed the score with the sounds of the screams as I went through the streets.

Since you're arriving on a futbol day... if you want to sound like a local, while you're watching just make sure to scream VAMOS CARAJO!!!!!!!!!!

Liam3494 said:
Well, actually its the quarter finals, and its on Saturday, so banks wouldn't be open anyway. bars and restaurants will be open, with people watching the match. Despite Steve's view, I would be more pessimistic - This place grinds to a halt when the match is on.... Tn - The local news channel, had a great feature piece last week, showing the Collectivo's (buses) empty, and the streets deserted while Argentina were playing, so be prepared for delays. Yes, once the game is over, things will revert to more normality, and I would assume that you have a reservation made at a hotel etc., and its simply a case of checking in, but be prepared is all I advise, you may be hanging around the airport for a while :)....

Welcome to BsAs :)

If you read the original post more carefully you will realize the scheduled arrival date is on a Wednesday and Argentina will only be playing in the semi finals if they beat Germany in the quarter final match on Saturday.

Most bars have TVs and will be open, but this is not the case with most restaurants. I discovered this in person four years ago when Argentina lost in the semi-finals and it was very difficult to find a restaurant open shortly after the end of the match. Even the kitchen help wants to watch every second. It might even be an inalienable right.

syngirl said:
From my last few trips through the airport, there can be up to an hour wait to get a remise regardless of the day.

So prepare for a wait to get in a cab, but you should have a really quick trip into the city because there will be zero traffic.

This is precisely why I catch cabs returning to the city after dropping off departing passengers.

As your arrival is two hours before the match, you could actually be at your hotel by the starting time, even if it takes an hour to get through the airport (provided you take a taxi from the airport drop off zone). If there are planes departing (in spite of the match), there will be taxis.

Rala4 said:

You have the possibility to be in the capitol city of a country when it wins the world cup and you're trying to see if you should get out of that? :confused:

Do your friends often slug you in the arm and you have no idea why?

Apologies, as I did misread the post about arrival times.

Semi-final kicks off at 3.30 local time, finishing (penalty shoot-out excepted) around 5.30 all being well, so hopefully eateries will be open in the evening - so we can celebrate!

Believe me, if you are here WHEN Argentina win the World Cup, you will be in The Party Capital of The World - :)

Back