Article on American Expats in Argentina on local news

You can make all kinds of arguments both ways. Cost of living in B.A. compared to the average American city is just about even. Of course in the U.S. cities are more generally more expensive versus the suburbs or smaller cities and towns, you could probably say the same about Argentina. But getting back to the point on retirees in the U.S. at 65 you get an affordable Medicare, in Argentina you just get a big jump in your health insurance premium. The difference for a couple would be several hundred dollars a month, this definitely tips the balance in favor of the U.S. for retirees. If somebody retires to Argentina today it won't because they are saving a bunch of money in doing so.

gouchobob said:
Well I am speaking on average in the U.S. ... Most cities or places in the U.S. the cost of living is close to or less than B.A.
In that case we must also consider 'on average' in Argentina.

Comparing NYC, LA, etc. to BsAs, comparing Smalltown US to Smalltown, Argentina.

What is the single proper shape of apples and bananas?

Real estate in BA is much, much cheaper than in NYC or SF. As this is the single largest expense for most, people coming from high cost US cities will still find BA a relative bargain.

I think high end restaurants are also still much cheaper in BA. Most services are too--house cleaning is about one-fifth the price, laundry is cheap, getting anything delivered
is free or low cost.

The bottom line? BA is still relatively cheap if you seek and can afford a high end life. It's no longer affordable if you come with little money and/or earn pesos.

i was going to mention that...
salaries have a big part when it comes to living in BA.

if you earn pesos, the cost of living is super high. salries are very low...and food and rent is extremely high....including this ridiculous expensas that are raised every single month.

i fall under this category. i find it really hard to live here...its not some easy breezy life or what the article describes. especially when you don't have a PhD or have lots of dollars in your bank account.
you can get by, yes, but you have to be very creative in order to find your niche...might take a while for me because i am not used to this crazy economic problems.....

I am from SF. Have lived here all my life...mostly and i am i cannot compare it to BA. seriously. is out of the question.

MizzMarr said:
It's also important to remember that for those without multi-national jobs earning foreign currency, earning potential is MUCH less than in the States. So to compare living here to NYC or San Francisco, one would have to compare also earning a comparable salary.

John.St said:
In that case we must also consider 'on average' in Argentina.

Comparing NYC, LA, etc. to BsAs, comparing Smalltown US to Smalltown, Argentina.

What is the single proper shape of apples and bananas?

But this is not what the article is arguing. It states retired people from the U.S. are moving to B.A. because their money goes further. This is simply not true. The average cost of living of the U.S. and B.A. is about the same, I would argue a retiree would spend more in B.A. due to health care costs. Sure B.A. is still cheaper than NYC or LA but that's not what the article is about.

The bottom line is, we now live in a global economy and any items that are available internationally, ie: electronics, cars, etc. are going to cost just about the same everywhere, plus that country's import tax which of course there are countries where there are no or very low import taxes so that is why these items may seem "cheaper" elsewhere. I strongly recommend people not choose to live in another country because you think it's "cheaper". Look for things like quality of life, opportunities, transparency in government (not many places left on earth) and all of the other things will fall into place.

gouchobob said:
But this is not what the article is arguing. It states retired people from the U.S. are moving to B.A. because their money goes further. This is simply not true. The average cost of living of the U.S. and B.A. is about the same, I would argue a retiree would spend more in B.A. due to health care costs. Sure B.A. is still cheaper than NYC or LA but that's not what the article is about.

A few years ago a person could move to Buenos Aires from Midland, Texas or Castle Rock, Oregon and spend less. Not so today. It will cost more to live in BA than in most small or large towns in the United States.

However, if the person in Midland is seeking a bright lights.big city environment, it will still cost less to live in BA than most big cities in the USA. This is especially so if the Midlandite has an income in dollars rather than pesos. The lower cost of real estate taxes alone more than offset higher health care costs for retirees.

dr__dawggy said:
A few years ago a person could move to Buenos Aires from Midland, Texas or Castle Rock, Oregon and spend less. Not so today. It will cost more to live in BA than in most small or large towns in the United States.

However, if the person in Midland is seeking a bright lights.big city environment, it will still cost less to live in BA than most big cities in the USA. This is especially so if the Midlandite has an income in dollars rather than pesos. The lower cost of real estate taxes alone more than offset higher health care costs for retirees.

I agree but it depends on where you live both in Argentina and the U.S. for real estate taxes. Also if people paid all the taxes they are suppose to in Argentina they would probably be shocked. Anyway you can get some fantastic deals in the states right now. My mother died a few years ago and we sold her house for $180k in Arizona, today a virtually identical house on the same street in foreclosure is going for $55k. A great deal on a house in Atlanta can be seen in the link below.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/home-sales-up-prices-down-13426066

gouchobob said:
You are right about the article and the general statement about prices in BsAs as compared to the US in general - but IMO retired people who move from Smalltown, USA to BsAs instead of the Argentine provinces are ... wait! I have to consult my lawyer before I continue :D

Back