ATM fees outrageous, solution?

It seems Transferwise can only work if you already have an Argie bank account...irrelevant to me since I don't...

Anyone know the monthly limits for RIA (to send to yourself) and if they're a pain about bugging you for paperwork?

It seems Transferwise can only work if you already have an Argie bank account...irrelevant to me since I don't...

Anyone know the monthly limits for RIA (to send to yourself) and if they're a pain about bugging you for paperwork?

I'm not sure you would be able to send money to yourself (for pick up in person in Argentina) using the method I suggested in my previous post (using a VPN and a US phone number), They might be able to figure out that you are actually in Argentina...

It's been four or five years since I used RIA but I remember that they asked for as much documentation as XOOM

Transferwise has opened up shop here, but I wasn't too impressed with the fees (I thought they were quite high).

These are the rates right now for a transfer of $1005 USD between Xoom and TransferWise:

Xoom Rate: $34.55 ARS to $1 USD
Xoom Fee: $30 USD
Xoom Amount Transferred: $33,686.84 ARS

TransferWise Rate: $35.90 ARS to $1 USD
TransferWise Fee: $16.86 USD
TransferWise Amount Transferred: $35,474.23 ARS

TransferWise gives $1,787.39 ARS more in the end for the same $1005 USD transfer. At a rate of $36.5 ARS, that's a difference of $48.97. Xoom is by far much more expensive for the hassle they impose on customers for every few transfers.

But then, this route (TransferWise) only works for those who have a bank account in Argentina.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Expat Life 10
S Expat Life 34
S Expat Life 40
C Expat Life 25
D Expat Life 8
Back